Image made in an Arboretum in Madison, WI

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/8, 1/400, ISO 640
Canon DPP4, PSCC, Nik Deatil extractor
Square crop of a vertical frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Ravi, this is a nice look at these Spiderworts, and the bonus of a Hoverfly. I love the curves of the leaves, and the droop of the buds in front. You have a nice pleasing oof BG, and the various shades of green are nice. If this was my image, I believe I might would try darkening the blooms just a little bit. I have these in my garden, and they are much darker. It could be a different variation of the Spiderwort too. Great shot.

Ravi: Terrific DOF management to get both centers and the hoverfly sharp and still have a nice OOF BG. Exceptionally good shot. >=))>

Thanks Bill and Shirley for your comments. I always expose to right and forget to re-adjust flowers when processing. Here is the re-post.

Much better, I think, Ravi. I added “repost” so folks will know that you made changes.

Ravi, this is a fine look at these Spiderwort, with the Hoverfly a special addition. I too have some of these in a garden and have been enjoying them for a couple of weeks. I like how the yellow stamen stand out as well as the two buds hanging down. The bit of burning in the flowers looks good.

Ravi: Repost looks good but something else I forgot to mention is the stem exiting the frame on the right side. I’m not sure what its function might be but making it go away makes the image stronger IMO. Back to you.

1 Like

Thanks Bill. This settled it for me. I was debating about whether to remove that leaf or not. Thanks for removing it. Did you make a mask to remove it?

Ravi: Nothing that exotic; just used the lasso tool and applied content aware fill in PS.