Splash Party

This was taken at Bosque del Apache a couple years ago. Snow Geese became one of my favorite birds after seeing hundreds and hundreds of them. I saw this in the midst of the larger original image so I did a severe crop, losing a lot of resolution. But for me the playfulness of the scene helps make up for loss of image quality. Next time I hope to spot these kinds of intimate wildlife scenes while in the field.

Mostly LR processing, including removing some water droplets on the main bird and secondary birds in the foreground, and brightening the main bird to emphasize the light coming through its extended wings. There is a lot of noise, so a trip through Topaz Denoise AI for a tad of noise dampening (low light setting).

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 with 200-500 f/5.6 lens.
500mm, 1/1600 sec, f/9, ISO 1000

11 Likes

This looks to me like a really nice composition of a great moment. I really like the curve of the wing over the head of the subject, and I really like the black and white rendering. It’s effective without being harsh, to my eyes. I find that when I try to convert it’s either meh or harsh.

1 Like

Awesome image, Mark! I really love all the action and the crowd of birds! It’s beautiful and looks great in black and white!

1 Like

Simply perfect. B&W does it justice.

1 Like

Mark, your choice of crop has produced a great composition with lots of action.

1 Like

Hi Mark. So many separate vignettes in this image… the spread of the wings that showcases the main bird’s head and the interaction between the birds. The tonal range also is striking and the spray of water caused by action in the scene. Love it!

Forgot to mention the excellent tonal range in your conversion.

2 Likes

Apart from the other good things, I love the composition here, especially how the head and bill of the main bird is mirrored by the wing feathers beyond.

1 Like

Unique, different and wonderful! Well seen and rendered! B/W is perfect here!

1 Like

@Mike_Friel , I never saw that mirroring before! Dumb luck how the bill and wings line up. Thanks for pointing that out!

Everyone (I’m having trouble tagging everyone thru my phone app),
Thank you for taking a look and commenting. I’m glad you like this little view into this bird world!

Mark, this is spectacular. There’s a fine mix of graphic and reality to your presentation. Definitely a wall hanger.

1 Like

I haven’t been on this forum lately and when I opened it up this morning this amazing photo definitely caught my eye. A keeper for sure.

1 Like

Just scrolling through past posts, and this one jumped right out at me. Beautifully seen, photographed and processed, Mark!

1 Like

Thanks @J_Fritz_Rumpf ! I really like the playfulness of it all. Glad you like it too

1 Like

I like this image a lot, Mark! Nice composition for such unpredictable subjects.

1 Like

Thanks @Eric_Bennett !

Everything falls into place perfectly in this shot. A true winner! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@LauraEmerson , Thank you very much!