Spot Light

Very fast moving fall weather on this day by the Athabasca river. The tonal differences created by clouds blocking the sun caught my attention as the foreground had a spotlight effect. I love fall in the rockies, the weather is so dynamic and there’s shooting options throughout the day - no need to get up early for sunrise!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Tonal transitions. Please let me know if you think the transitions for light to dark are too harsh. This was how nature rendered the scene but I can smooth this out with curves layers.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

1 Like

Hey Nathan. Gorgeous photograph. I love the dynamic juxtaposition between the upper part of the frame (the peak and clouds), which is muscular and active and the lower part of the frame (the winding river), which is peaceful, almost idyllic. I also love the colour palette, particularly the lovely aqua tint of the river, which is so typical of glacier fed rivers. The composition is really nice - very solid, connected and with a good sense of flow - my eye moves through it easily … but there is a “but”. My only problem is with the centre part of the frame, which feels too dark and devoid of much detail. From the point of view of visual mass, it dominates in a way that, in my opinion, detracts from the flow of the image - more like a barrier than part of an integrated whole. I think that by bringing up the midtone brightness and contrast, you’d eliminate that problem and pull the image together.

Nathan: One of my favorite places on the planet and I envy your experience. Like Kerry the middle ground seems too dark and featureless to me. Just for fun I did a very quick and cursory edit in Luminar 4 which brings out what I feel are some nice details and light. I love the comp and the conditions. Back to you.

1 Like

You have a beautiful, well composed scenic image. I like the layered construction. The clouds really make this image stand out. I like bothe the original and the rework. The original for its moodiness and the rework for tonal balance.

@Kerry_Gordon, @Bill_Fach @Igor_Doncov thanks for your input on this image. That was exactly what I needed for another set of eyes on the tonal transition.

Bill it’s interesting how the lunar rendition also increased the saturation which seems to work. Below is a re-work which I feel splits the difference.

1 Like

I love the rework Nathan! Kerry mentioned the one very small nit I had about the image and that’s covered in your rework. I also like the small boost in vibrancy of the river and the blue in the sky.
I am so jealous. I was supposed to go with my family this summer to Glacier National Park, Banff, and Jasper, but we all know that whatever plans we all had are caput! Beautiful image. Through your image, I can imagine myself being there. Thanks for that!

1 Like

This indeed a grand landscape. I really like the composition of the image. I like the almost high key of the clouds and mountain. There good comments already and I like Bill’s working of the image. More detail in the center of the frame really makes the image pop.

Rework is wonderful Nathan. Beauty and drama combined.