Spotted Towhee and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the more common birds and one of the most vocal, but they photograph well with the red eye and rufous flank.

This was taken in the same locale and in the same time frame as the previous shot of the Tanager. Like the Tanager, this had a distinct yellow cast, which I wouldn’t have dealt with without the comments on the Tanager.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated;

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; +1/3 EV; ISO 2000

1 Like

Excellent image of the Towhee, Allen. While they’re pretty common, I have trouble getting them out in the open except when they come in to bathe.

1 Like

Oh this is a treat! Dennis is right that they are so shy they hardly ever come out so great job at getting this stunner. That red eye is so great - matches those rusty sides. It does look a bit magenta to me though - most strongly in the blacks. Nice sharpness and I like the tangle of foliage in front and behind the bird. Terrific job.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice to catch this species on a branch. All my photos of towhees are on the ground. Great eye as mentioned above. I’m wondering if darkening the blacks on the bird would help also. Nice capture!

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Kris_Smith , and @Allen_Sparks for you comments and suggestions. Don’t know how I missed that magenta color cast. Here’s a repost with the magenta totally desaturated and as Allen suggested I darkened the blacks-makes the eye pop more.

2 Likes

A definite improvement, Allen. I’m not sure what it is, but I’ve noticed that the Pacific Northwest is very prone to magenta color casts. It might bee the intense green environment we’re usually working in.

1 Like