Spotted Towhee

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3; ISO 1000
Processed in LR, PS, Topaz NR

1 Like

Only occasional do I get a chance to make a photo of these birds in a tree or bush. Allen , I really like the sharpness throughout the image. The eye and open beak really makes this for me. It does look like the Towhee is a bit confined as it belts out its song especially along the lower right border. Maybe give the bird more room throughout, as the pale soft background really sets off the the black and orange.

1 Like

Hi Allen, a beautiful subject with pleasing coloration - love that red eye. The singing pose is nice too. I could see adding room to the left if that doesn’t introduce distracting elements.

1 Like

Towhees knock me out. I wish I had an opportunity like this one. So clear and with such soft light to really bring out some shine and texture. Maybe a little CW rotation…he seems to be tilting backward. But oh, the song! I love to hear them twittering away. What a fantastic portrait.

1 Like

Excellent, and nice to see one off the ground!! I love the setting! They have been scarce (or else even more shy) around here for a while. Great pose and wonderful sharpness and tonal detail. I could see a bit more on the bottom and left but not a big deal. It looks like there were OOF elements below, but I wonder if they are that bad… The hint I can see looks interesting but of course that could be because that was the perfect place to crop.

1 Like

Excellent detail in the Towhee, Allen. They always seem so shy around here, that it’s really nice to see one caught out in the open (more or less). I could see a bit more room on the left, but it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

Hi Allen
The Towhee is colorful, with outstanding detail and the framing works, because all angles bring my eye to the Towhee’s eye.
Peter

1 Like

Great job on the color balance and the black plumage.

1 Like