Spring Greens Abound

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The (primarily) deciduous forests in this part of the world have only recently leafed out and got their green on. And I just love how vibrant these very earliest greens of a new growing season can be…it’s as though they’re a.l.i.v.e. :slight_smile:

So, I took the camera out to a nearby state park and started hunting for scenes that would illustrate the forests all dressed up and ready to show off their party clothes.

When I first happened on this scene, I stood there and looked at it for an unusually long time (for me). There was something about it that appealed to me, but that big honkin’ skeleton of a fallen tree on the right left me with mixed feelings. On one hand, I sorta like the line of that skeleton leading down into the dense greenery. OTOH, that freakin’ log is just SO dominant in the scene that the story of the image gets more cloudy than I would like.

I’ve probably been through the session’s images at least 3X now. And each time I reach this one, I stop and look at it for a minute, and then pass it by and work on others.

Specific Feedback

Overall, I’d just be interested to hear if others thinks the image ‘works’ for you. Cleary there’s something about it that appeals to me or I wouldn’t have shot it. Nor would I stop and give it an extended look each it comes up in Lightroom were that not the case. But there’s this ‘Yebbit’ that keeps flying around my head where this one’s concerned, and if possible, I’d like to find some verbal insecticide to swat it away. :slight_smile:

Technical Details

ISO400, f11, 1/8sec, 35mm

Hello, RJ.

These forests look a lot similar to what I see in Ohio. I think the best thing about this image is your processing. The greens look natural (which isn’t always the case!) and you’ve done a good job pulling out some nice contrast with out losing detail in your shadows or highlights. Compositionally I think you have done well to frame the image and generally avoided any distractions. You’ve done a great job showcasing the fresh spring greens. Beyond that, I guess I would ask what drew you to the scene? What do you like about it, other than the greens? The image feels a bit disjointed to me. I’m not quite sure what you want me to look at beyond the greens. The fallen tree, because it is different from the others, because an eye magnet and I bounce back and forth between the 3 or 4 trees on the left and the fallen tree. The remainder of the trees lack character, which isn’t necessarily a requirement. I once heard a photographer mention looking for trees with “gesture.”

Your answers to the questions may help you determine some of the potential next steps. You could look for some crops potentially to really highlight what pulled you in. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. VERY much appreciated!

Starting with the end of your reply, I have been asking myself a variety of questions. And wound up posting here because I frequently find it helpful to bounce questions off others when I’m not sure about an image. Even if I don’t use suggestions precisely as provided…sometimes just the discussion sparks new perspectives from which to view the image.

This image is from the St. Louis, MO vicinity. So yes, I would expect a fair bit of similarity to what you experience in OH. Though it didn’t come immediately to mind while shooting, I think the most significant attractor beyond ‘the greens’ is the dichotomy between the large decaying fallen tree contrasted against the celebratory vibe provided by the very vibrant greens. And looking at it now, I could see it as the fallen tree almost being fed into a blender of new life for this season.

I do think I probably need to rework the end of the decaying tree nearest the lower left corner. I see some moss and fungi in that lower area that could probably be elevated a bit with some work. Probably won’t make a major difference in the overall image, but might boost the decay vs new life vibe a bit.

Thanks for the reply!

What do you think about something like this?

Gets to the heart of the new growth vs decay dichotomy you were considering.

I did try several alternative crops, but don’t think I got to this one. And it’s nice. But it strikes me the same as one or two different crops I tried. I.e., while it’s interesting, it doesn’t make a better image. It just makes a different image…at least, IMO.

RJ,

I quite like this as presented. Yes, of course the greens well represented here and there certainly is that sense of spring timing when the new growth is “leafing out.” Processing excellent - although personal choice and preference might provide some room for even a bit more vibrance and boosted highlights. Pretty minor.

Regarding the log, I think it works, and works because it’s clearly part of the forest - so it’s not about the fallen log, but everything else that the log represents - time, decay, death-rebirth… all those things that the story of the forest tells. I actually think the composition is well scene and emphasizes the story of the forest.

Other than the vibrance I mentioned, no other nits or suggestions.

Lon

I wonder if that might be browser related. It does appear a bit restrained compared to my Lightroom file.

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.

I’m slowly accepting that I like it. There are still occasions where David’s ‘disjointed’ comment seems spot on, but those occurrences are growing fewer.