Spring Greens + Rework

REWORK with light green overlain on the +/- white background; also brightened up the yellow hue in some of the greens to give it a bit of a brighter mood:

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The grasses and oaks were lovely shades of green this year. Just fooling around and composited two shots of them.

Specific Feedback

Does the relatively blank LLC bother you? Any other comments welcome. Love it? Hate it?

Technical Details

Initial exposure adjustments in ACR; composited in PS, dodging/burning, a curve for contrast, and hue/sat adjustments.
Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 1.08.30 PM

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I like it. It’s intriguing.

“Does the relatively blank [LLC] bother you?” No.

“Love it? Hate it?” Like it. It kept me looking for a while. That says something positive.

Lovely, Bonnie. Has a light summer feel to it. No the LLC corner doesn’t bother me in the least, it adds to the “airiness” of the image. Nicely done.

Love it! Something different, and very lovely. The “blank” areas are fine, and not a concern at all. The comp is good, with nice flow of the branches from left to right, and the muted greens are sweet.
Very fine image! Contest-worthy, if you’re so inclined (NANPA entries are opening soon)

Bonnie, this is very nicely "light and airy. While I do think that the clear white bits (especially along the bottom) are slightly distracting, as I try to imagine crops, I just find other white areas grabbing attention. Have you tried something like cloning maybe 10% light green in there?

1 Like

Bonnie: What a neat idea and a fine result. Superbly conceived, composed, captured and presented. Most excellent! >=))>

Thanks, @Don_Peters, @linda_mellor, @SandyR-B, @Mark_Seaver, and @Bill_Fach.

That didn’t occur to me. I’ll post a rework with some light green in the whitest parts. Thanks for the idea.

Better than being ignored! :rofl:

I’m rather disinclined these days to enter contests, but thanks for thinking it contest-worthy. Does NANPA go for these kinds of composite images? I’ve never joined them. It seems like they are more into the documentary sort of images, which is great, just not what I’m so into these days.

1 Like

NANPA is one of the major contests. Membership also allows access to excellent equipment insurance.

There is an “Altered/Abstract” category your image would fit perfectly - and images in all categories are not just “documentation” - they look for artistic value as well.

Here are the 2024 winners:

Entries are open now for the 2025 Showcase winners.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

1 Like

Thanks for the link, Sandy. The Altered Reality section does look like a good fit for me. I may just enter!