Spring Time in Michigan

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I decided to take the day off today due to a predicted heavy snowfall. Our winter in Michigan was warm with temperatures mostly in the 50’s with 70 degree temps showing up multiple times. Several Canada geese decided to wait out the storm on our duck pond. I like the snow that is starting to collect on the back of this goose. I usually do not use a teleconverter, but decided to use one for this case in order to bring in the goose closer to me. Even geese are morphologically suited to handle snow and the image shows that the feathers provide adequate insulation from the cold environmental temperature.

Technical Details

Z9, 600mm f4 + 1.4x teleconverter (1/200sec at f8.0, ISO 640-fill flash at -2.0ev) Levels, DeNoise in Lightroom, Slight crop with leveling, Brightness & Contrast, Micro-contrast adjustment with unsharp mask.

A fine image, Jim. I love the snow on the goose’s back and the excellent feather detail. You left plenty of environment to show the conditions.

Jim, this is a really nice shot. The snow is great, especially on the goose’s back, and as Dennis said the feather detail and colors are top notch.

Honestly, geese are not one of my favorite birds, we have too many here in CT, but you’ve elevated this one Jim, where he looks more regal and resilient to whatever the weather may bring. The snow accumulating on his back is a testament to this. Nice detail and sharpness throughout.

Hi Jim, love the snow on the back you captured here as well as it falling throughout the image. This made an outstanding shot of a subject I typically pass by. Well seen and taken.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank , @Ed_Williams , @Jim_Lockhart , and @Allen_Sparks. I was having a hard time deciding on whether to post this one as this species is not a favorite of mine as well. Even dirt common birds need some love too…Jim

And I remember growing up in Michigan when they were in trouble, so I still consider their recovery as a success story, despite the fact that they can be a nuisance.

OK, that is one view. I see them as regal, and I enjoyed including them in my daily visit to the pond near my home in Maryland. When I heard them call as they flew over the city I felt connected to a wild, wonderful place. The loyalty of the male to his mate for life is another aspect of these birds that I admire. This picture reminds me why I love them. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photograph! I am really drawn into this image. The gently falling snow is beautiful and the cool tones very suited to the transition season. I find it uplifting to hear and see the Canada Geese return in the Spring.

Jim: you don’t often see WOW photos of Canada geese as most (myself included) see them so frequently that we rarely photograph them. This one is certainly the exception. It’s a great photo of the goose in its environment.