Springtime Bull Elk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This big Bull Elk (with a buddy, not shown) was grazing on the fresh green grasses in YNP. The overcast shows off the greens in the grasses as well as all of the details in the Bull. This looks to be a very big bull given how extensive his antlers are even though they’ve only been growing for 4-6 weeks.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 471, 1/80 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod

2 Likes

Nice shot here Mark. I like the angle of trajectory for the elk, and the colors offset really well between the green green spring grass and the nice browns of the elk.

Mark: What a beautiful animal in a wonderful setting and the light helps bring out the vibrant colors. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I like how you caught the details of veins under his skin and the catchlight in his eye, as well as making us feel the effort he was expending to climb the slope. Very nice!

This is a wonderful portrait of this bull elk Mark! The overcast light was perfect for showcasing all the wonderful details in the brown fur of the elk as well as the lovely green grasses. The diagonal placement works beautifully as does that extra bit of space in front of him. Beautifully done!

Well done, Mark! I love the oblique angle to the scene. it’s nice to get them climbing hills rather than just standing in a ‘flat’ field now and then! The soft light and lower contrast really brings out the texture of its fur and all other details, too. Nice catchlight in his eye, too. I agree, it will be a large rack when it’s finished growing!!