Standing Guard

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I caught these guys having breakfast. This is my second submission after the critique I received.

Technical Details

Canon 5DsR, 70-200mm w/2x extender

Nice capture John. Always interesting to see these birds at work. Nice relative sharpness throughout the image even though I’m wondering if the focus point was on the birds in back. I could see adding more space top and bottom. Looks like adding on top may introduce a distraction in upper right but I think you could use a content aware fill to fix that. I like the pose especially on the front bird with a great look at the head.

I like the scene here, John. A very apt title. I agree with Allen that the focus point doesn’t seem to be on the front bird’s face. I don’t think your camera has the fancy new “bird eye Autofocus”, so when you’re shooting a scene like this it helps to use a smaller AF area. When I was using Canon DSLRs, I used to use the center point and surrounding box to get the focus where I wanted it, then recomposed and shot. Sometimes, if the bird was buried in the brush I’d use just the center AF point to try to get the focus right on the bird’s eye. Even the new AF systems can get fooled pretty easily and it’s necessary to resort to the old tricks.

A nice look at vultures doing what they do. I could see a little more space on top, perhaps using content aware to keep the grass instead of what looks like bare land.

Thanks Allen Maybe I cropped too much. There was a driveway and car behind them. Content aware would have been a good idea.

This is a cool shot John of nature’s scavengers. Man, the front bird focus looks good to me…nice sharp eye, but others with more experience may see otherwise. It’s a bit tight and that’s usually to eliminate unwanted objects, as you said, so no big deal.