Starburst

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/40 @ f16
This is a relatively new hibiscus for us and it’s been putting out a lot of pretty showy blooms. I got the title idea from the “explosion” of the stamen ends and that the central stem seemed to be shot from the swirling center. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great title and image, Bill. It would have been even better to have had the stamen sharp in focus, but I think without the stacked focusing (which I haven’t got into myself), you nailed it pretty good. I think maybe, if you cropped any at all, I would try to allow just a bit more room for the top of the stamen (it just seems tight to me, especially since it is the main focus and subject). Still a lovely flower and image of it, in my opinion.

A color explosion. I feel like a bee coming in for some nectar.

A beautiful image, Bill. Excellent eye to pick up the patterns in this flower and I like the selective focus. I do find myself wishing for a touch more room in the upper left corner.

Very cool!!!

Beautifully composed, Bill, with a nice separation of the stamens from the petal backdrop. The colours clash a little - but that’s what you get from some flowers ! Cool title too.

A feast of beautiful colors Bill, warm, stark, elegant as most of them are neutral colors. I like the sharpness of the elements in the foreground leaving soft all the rest for a contrast. A splendid photo for me.

A little garish, but well composed and exposed.

That is a very eyecatching set of stamen and pistil, Bill. Your comp. is perfect and the colors are terrific.

Holy smokes, the detail on the stigma is outstanding!