Steel Blue

I captured this image earlier this month during a stormy evening in the Sierra backcountry. Shortly after I took this image the rain let loose and I had to hustle around the lake to my tent.
I’m curious on thoughts on the processing of this image. I purposefully left the strong blue color cast in the clouds but curious if you think it is too strong. Any other suggestions appreciated.

5DSR, 24-105 f/4 @ 28mm.
f/11, .6 sec, ISO100

1 Like

Whoa… That is a seriously “cool” image. 3d processing is very nice.
I might reduce the blue just a tad.

1 Like

Very nice scene. I don’t mind the level of blue at all. I think those clouds in the sky and the reflection add to the image. There’s a bright reflection at the first dip in the mountain range on the right. The reflection is pretty eye catching, yet the real sky isn’t. I do think the entire image could stand a small boost in luminance.

1 Like

Great composition and I like what you’ve done with the processing here. The sky looks great! Depending on how you feel about image manipulation you could probably get more color out of the little patch of sunset light with either some selective dehaze filtering or painting in some color which seems to be a popular technique these days.

1 Like

Dave,

Outstanding all the way around. Crisp and just beautiful. Love the processing here.

Lon

1 Like

A beautiful image of a beautiful place. I like this shade of blue in general so this color works for me. The processing is tastefully done. It’s there but you don’t notice it. Your grand landscapes are always first rate.

1 Like

Another beauty here Dave, this looks like it was a very productive trip for you. I really like the subtle way you have processed the blues and grays here. They are so luminous, and contrast nicely with the warm colors of the ground. great work !!!

1 Like

Thanks, Keith. Very helpful. Somehow I overlooked that bright spot in the reflection.

I love the mood you have captured here, the placement of the waterline works too, I’m sure many would have placed the waterline dead center but I like how you show more of the sky. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Dave, the details in the mountains and in their near perfect reflections are terrific. I think the blue mood, with the touch of warmth on the horizon looks great.

Beautiful scene all around. The blue works really well here. I might experiment with masking the reeds and shoreline and pulling the blues down in those areas and see what you get. Not sure it will be effective or look good, but would be fun to try. Another really sweet high Sierra image.