Steel Worker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a wider view of Bedroom Eyes. The perch is a steel garden border stake which he just loved to return to. I did get a few shots with him on more attractive perches but I liked that I was able to set up here and get the plane of focus on the body with the sunlit BG and the shadow of the wings on the top of the stake.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 G-II @ 200mm w/2x TC
ISO 1600, 1/1250 @ f11

2 Likes

I can see why you liked this shot, Bill. I do too. Wonderful details in the eyes right on, even with his/her body included. Well done. That sunlit BG makes him stand out nicely too. Cute title.

He chose the perch so that makes it natural, in my book! (For reasons I can’t defend, the same doesn’t go for bird feeders, and especially parts of them.) I love the sharpness and detail and the light is wonderful! I do wonder about raising the shadows just a bit, but without losing contrast in them.

Oh cool, so that’s the favorite perch. I like the glow behind with enough light for the lovely markings to show, plus that gorgeous eye. Just had a dragonfly mishap in the yard this afternoon - some bird snapped a big one in half and it attempted to keep flying in its death throes. Big beauty, too, if it had been alive. Truncated, not so much. Hopefully yours escapes this fate. Being in the middle of the food chain is a tough hang.