White-throated Kingfisher

I find the perch heavy for a small bird like Kingfisher.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’ve been experimenting with light but I find the perch bit heavy for a small bird like Kingfisher.

Technical Details

Canon R 5; 500 mm lens; ISO 400; 1/500 sec. at f 5.

4 Likes

This is gorgeous. The backlighting is really effective and you still have enough detail in the bird and the perch. I especially love the bit of spider web. The glow of the beak is of course the story here…just amazing. I think the size of the perch helps to tell how small the kingfisher is.

1 Like

The first thing that catches my eye is the backlit beak, so I don’t think the branch is too big for the frame. Also, the branch is subdued, in shadow, which doesn’t draw attention to it. You could try a bit looser crop if you have doubts about the branch’s visual weight.
I like the backlit beak and rim lighting throughout. Nice environmental portrait!

1 Like

The backlighting is the first thing I saw, Jagdeep. Yes, the perch is a little large but from my perspective, the little bird has a rather large bill and in my view, it kind of balances out. I know, strange perspective. Maybe if you tired lighting the bird just a tad and darkening the perch just a tad, this would bring more focus on the bird and less on the perch??

1 Like

Beautiful bird and presented wonderfully as always.

1 Like

Hi J Rajput
The perch does have a club look to it but, to quote a director I worked with “if the only this they see in this photograph is the perch, where missing the point.” The back light on the Kingfisher shows nice coloring with good detail and the pop from the sun, really helps to bring my eye to the Kingfisher. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

I love this species, and have seen them a lot in Asia. Love this back-lit image! The slight open bill is a bonus! Love it, Hans

1 Like

Oh, the lighting is what makes this. The perch could be about anything and this would still be a great shot, in my humble opinion. I like the perch though. That beak open is a real nice addition, as well as the webs on the under side of the perch.