Sticks and Grasses

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve stopped occasionally at one of the “Bobby Socks” areas in Yellowstone to photograph the trees that are partially petrified from the silica in the hot water that killed them. While this view doesn’t emphasize the bobby socks, it does capture the strong textural difference between all the dead wood and the fall grasses.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 270, 1/50 s, f/18, iso 800, polarizer and tripod.

3 Likes

Looks great to me, Mark. I usually try to avoid having stuff exit the frame at the bottom and corners but in this case it’s not too terribly distracting. Love the color variations in the grass!

Mark, I am loving this shot. The different shades of grass, making horizonal lines in the image, and the trees in the vertical and various slanted lines makes this almost an abstract image to me. Very pleasing.

Absolutely an excellent image, Mark. The scattering of all the barren trees and limbs although chaotic at the same time seems a bit organized. I do not think the impact would be the same without all the wonderful golden grasses throughout the scene…a very nice find… :sunglasses:

I like this image a lot, and I wonder what it would look like without the foreground branches.

Oh, I love the graphic quality in this image. You get an A for creativity in my book.

The contrasts of color and trunk/branch angles really make this.

I like the idea of the image and think it would benefit of not having the branches in the foreground, which I find a bit too dominat.

Hi Mark! I love this image — the color contrast of the tree trunks and the grasses is striking. The bluish-gray trunks and rusty grass (complementary colors!) really work.

I have one thought, and it may fall into the “picky” category! I think that the foreground branches offer a nice counterpoint to the background, but the first diagonal branch to the right of the center (there are two diagonal branches pointing from left to right — I’m talking about the one on the left) is a distraction for me. One might think, “REALLY? There are so many, how can just one be a distraction?” :slightly_smiling_face: Well it is. My eye keeps on getting snagged by it. I don’t know if you’d want to try to remove it, or not. The tools have become so sophisticated that it might be possible (if you’re not entering it in a competition, it would be alright). With all of this said, I might be the only person who would pick up on that branch so you can ignore me!

In all, it’s a wonderful, creative image. Thanks for posting it!

Incredibly creative image, Mark. What a great bit of framing on an untidy subject made completely tidy by framing. Well, maybe not completely tidy but well balanced. This would be challenging to pull off in the field so kudos to you for your outside the box thinking to get this one. It’s the grass that makes it all work though. I just love the zig zagging coloration through the foreground to the background. I would maybe clone out the one little nub in the BRC that is poking into the scene. The dark one.

@Matt_Payne @Shirley_Freeman @Paul_Breitkreuz @Ronald_Murphy @Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley @Cay-Uwe_Kulzer @Susanna_Euston

Thanks for stopping by. I knew when I saw this that it would be very different from “NPN Standard Comp.”, but it felt balanced to me. The color difference in the grass tells you the slightly different heights of the ground that they’re growing on. The lighter colors are grass that’s on higher ground so it’s dried out more than the grass that’s getting a bit more water.