Trees and Grasses

Early morning in a local park. I wanted to focus on the mid level grasses and leave the tree trunks in silhouette.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback would be helpful. Particularly interested in composition, light and increasing a sense of interest by the viewer. Thank you.

Technical Details

Hand held. ISO 500, 150mm telephoto lens, f5, 1/250 sec.

1 Like

I like this Bill. It’s disorienting in a good abstract way. This for me comes in part from the color of the grass, the grey makes it less obvious as to what it is. As far as suggestions, I don’t know what framing the tree more to the right or left might do.

Hi Bill –

I love the experimental feeling of this, as you have put a lot of abstract concepts to work with this photo in terms of depth of field, framing, use of mixed lighting, and visually perplexing (in a good way!) layers. There is a lot going on but I appreciate the complexity and the layers you have created with the soft green frame in the foreground, the grasses, and bright tree (?) in the background.

If you are open to doing some cloning, you could consider taking out some of the visual distractions like the bright spots on some of the small grasses that head in different directions than the dominant up/down flow. You could also consider desaturating some of the greens in the background. Since they are lighter than the other greens in the frame, they attract a lot of attention for me.

In applying these same ideas in the future, the only comment I would add is that I might look for a little bit more consistency in the elements. Two examples: 1) a fuller swath of dark green framing at the bottom and 2) more consistent grasses throughout the scene (the grasses on the left here are much more sparse than the grasses in the middle and on the right, which creates a bit of a visual imbalance).

Thank you Cameron. I’m new to experimenting with abstracts and your feedback is very helpful. I will play a little with the framing of the trees and see what happens. Thanks, Bill

1 Like

Sarah, Thank you very much for taking the time to critique this image. I transition between my first love of bird photography, particularly birds in flight, and small woodland scenes. That may account for some of the confusion in this image. Your feedback is great and I will try to apply. First, I need to learn to slow down and maybe use the tripod more so I can see and process the consistency of multiple elements as you suggest. I very much appreciate your feedback. Thanks, Bill