Still Life with Wings

Image(s)

Image Description

Is this a “wildlife” shot? I believe so. Death subjects often present themselves on the wild beaches of Point Reyes National Seashore, and I can’t resist them.

Feedback Requests

I want to thank NPN for this challenge – I just spent half an hour combing through my wildlife shots (mostly birds) to see which ones might convert to successful B/W images. Really opened my eyes, as I must confess: I have never gone out shooting wildlife with B/W as my objective, despite the suitability of many bird subjects, which have excellent contrast in their plumage. Now I’ll look at wildlife opportunities in a fresh way.

Pertinent Technical Details

No technical details worth sharing. It was an obviously easy shot with plenty of light. I added the white vignette – kind of an obvious edit, but I think it works.

A wonderful beach find, James, and very well photographed. It makes a great B&W conversion. I think your white vignette worked very well for this image. I’m trying to figure out whether the crab is alive of if it was a shed. In either case it’s a very nice touch.

Thanks much Dennis. Not sure I’d hang that one in my living room, but I do like the subject and light very much.

This one is very cool, James. I echo the comments Dennis made.

Not every good photo is destined for a wall.

Nicely seen and captured. The image tells a great story. I like how the elements are laid out. Personally, I think the white vignette is a little distracting, though. I have to say this photo caught my eye.

Thanks Chris

Much appreciated Don

Definitely caught my eye! Super photo but not destined for my living room either :joy:. I like the vignette but agree with Chris that it’s a wee bit strong for my eye.

Very nice capture and well presented. I don’t mind the light vignette but an interesting comparison would be a dark vignette with lightening in the center.

Thanks Diane will give that a try.

Thanks Cathy. Are you going to submit a wildlife B/W to the weekly challenge? Once I started evaluating my bird photos, I found a lot of candidates for B/W.

James, it certainly is wild, but the “life” part is debatable… :laughing:. It is a view that tells a good story. I’m pretty amazed at how much of the bird is still hooked together. Sure has me wondering what happened. I do agree that reducing the vignette to let more of the sand’s texture show would be good.

James, I started digging through my files, searching for good candidates for BW wildlife. The weekly challenges are good motivation. However, I doubt I’ll find anything as good for BW as your death portrait!

Many thanks Mark.

I love the texture of the sand against the soft bird feathers. I think it’s quite valid to include dead “wildlife”:slight_smile:

Thanks Laura – yes, a testament to the resilience of delicate feathers out there !