Still no winter

This image I made in the dunes nearby in oktober.
I am waiting for it but there is still no winter.

Specific Feedback Requested

all feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Ben, I like the concept of showcasing the relationship between these two trees, with the distant one being a dreamy visual echo of the near tree. I like how the grass helps connect the two trees as well. And as you usual, your processing has created a nice green/yellow glow.

My nitpick would be with the dark branch in the ULC, it has a lot of visual weight due to its darkness, and for me anyways, it sort of leads my eye up and out of the top of the frame. you could try dodging that branch , but I also did a scrolling screen crop of the top to just below the dark branch. Yes you do lose the framing leaves in the URC, but for me that is less important than removing the dark branch. It depends on how strongly you feel about keeping the leaves along the top edge on the right.

I really like the way you framed the small tree with the larger one. It makes a statement about time and interconnectedness. The big branch is a bit of an eye magnet, but I’m not sure it’s avoidable. The upper branch is needed to make the statement and the framing and cropping cuts the top off the smaller tree and I’m not sure that helps. You could clone some leaves over the big branch - maybe not entirely, but to break up its silhouette. The fog is to die for and I love this shot of summer in my below zero winter.

I love the warm vs cool color combination that exists here. We usually see this done with colors but here it is done with colors and light itself. It gives a wonderful sense of lookin out of the cooler dark into the warmer light. It’s a subtle and optimistic message.

I agree with @Ed_McGuirk about that dark branch having a lot of visual weight in this scene. Everything in this scene is so soft and glowing except that one branch. I think you could select it via color or luminosity and the dodge it.
The framing of the smaller tree using the leaves from the larger tree is well done and warm and cool tones work really well together. You did a tremendous job processing the grasses. They are just so dreamy looking. Great atmosphere Ben. With scenes like this, why would you be looking forward to winter? :slight_smile:

A little late but this is really lovely, Ben. The colour palette and general softness give this image a very sweet, hazy summer’s day feel. I agree that the branch in the upper left does hold a fair bit of visual mass and I think @David_Haynes ’ suggestion to dodge it down a bit would be a simple solution.

@Ed_McGuirk , @David_Haynes , @Kris_Smith , @Kerry_Gordon , @Igor_Doncov ,
Always love the way you all can analyze an(my) image. Especially because there are many different opinions and feelings about any image. I myself am not good in giving critiques. Maybe one day I will learn.
In this case I experimented with that branch and made it a tiny bit lighter. But I was not happy with it (see rework).
The whole image becomes more flat to my feeling.While the darker branche gave some sort of border. Not to much visual weight in my opinion.
I think Kristen and Igor are having the same feeling about it as I do.

REWORK

You are the maestro, Ben. Critique, it seems to me, is meant to be filtered through your own artistic sensibility. Ultimately, if it pleases you, that’s all you need to know!