Still Parched

I decided I would post a Grand Landscape as I have mostly been posting intimate stuff lately. This is an image from my recent Trip to Utah/Death Valley where I was rewarded with some great weather conditions the evening that I arrived. This and the following morning were the only times that I saw any cloud cover to speak the entire trip but boy was this a great evening to shoot. This is the badlands with some light hitting the far buttes and that center cloud lighting up and dumping rain. It’s interesting that I never got a single drop of water on me. It was all in the distance. So, Still Parched became the name of this image.
I actually have 3 different crops from this scene. This is full frame and the others are actually cropped to eliminate the right rock formation. I will post those as well. I’d like to know which you prefer as I can’t decide.
As always, thanks for the feedback.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome.
Is the white balance too cool?
Which image do you like?

Technical Details

z7ii, ISO 80, 24-70mm @ 24mm, 1/80 sec @ f/13

Wow, what a landscape! The second option doesn’t do anything for me - too tight. The first, with the two warm outcrops feels like you’re introducing us into the landscape, inviting us to roam into the distance. It’s clearly about the grand landscape as a whole. The third feels like a conversation between the foreground outcrop and the farther hills - more intimate than the first. I guess it depends on what you want to emphasize as a “story” whether you go for the wide vista or cropped version. Both are wonderful in their own ways.

In my opinion the images are posted in the order of their quality. The square aspect ratio of the third image is not optimal for this subject matter and it’s the weakest image. The second image is a virtually perfect composition and could adorn many calendars and magazines. However, it’s clicheish. The first image is the best because the two outcrops suggest movement out into the expanse and that gives you a sense of soaring. So rather than the picturesque sentinel in the 2nd image you have a sense of flight to a degree that it’s almost scary. And emotion is what art is all about. That makes it the best of the three. That’s my opinion.

I live in small country across the great pound, roughly the size of Maine, but with 10 million people on it and 880 Years of history. This to say I am not use to the “Grand Landscape” concept. Portugal is a very beautiful small country, but not wild or even green anymore. The some goes for most of Europe but Portugal is kind of bad in that aspect.

All that to say that I do like a good old “grand Landscape” picture, because I don’t have access to that.

For me the first picture work really well, with the rocks making a nice frame to the scene. It is my favorite of the lot. it’s a beautiful picture to lot of detail and interest to your eyes move around.

David, love that first image best. All are wonderful, but the first image with the two overlook points frames the open area below perfectly. The juxtaposition of the dry arid land with the wanting rain in BG works extremely well too… :+1: :+1:

For me, the first image is the clear winner. As Igor pointed out, the two butte outcroppings frame the image in a very compelling way and the aspect ratio highlights the sweep of this incredible vista, raising the first image well above the others. But it is the sinuous vein-like structures that really draw me in. As in all your pictures, I love the way you handle colour and tone - subtle, never over done. This image is outstanding because at every level - foreground, mid-ground, and background the reader is rewarded with big-time payoff. One of the most fully realized grand landscapes I have seen in quite some time.

Beautiful image and most definitely the first one for me. I love the way the lines lead out to the white clouds. The two foreground formations make a great frame and leading lines. Outstanding take from this very familiar location.

1 Like

I agree with the rest, David, the first one is the clear winner. The badlands almost feel like waves being churned up by the coming storm. This has all the best elements of a Grand Landscape. Perfect as is. It would make an awesome print.

Thanks to all of you @Bonnie_Lampley , @Igor_Doncov , @joaoquintela , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Kerry_Gordon , @Harley_Goldman , @David_Bostock for commenting and giving me your take on this scene. I guess I’m having trouble because there are 3 main elements competing in this scene. You have the colorful foreground outcroppings, you have the intricacies of the valley floor twisting and winding like arteries, and you have the storm clouds. I think all three play really nicely together but I also think that by eliminating one of the foreground elements it then makes it more about the valley below and the incoming storm. I’m still confused but Grand Landscapes tend to do that to me. It seems unanimous that the first image, the one I used as the thumbnail, is the favorite and I believe it’s my favorite as well but I do like the others a well. Your comments confirm it for me and I appreciate all of them.
Welcome back Harley.

I too, like the first one the best. The two nearby pillars lead into and frame the middle ground with all of it’s amazing textures very well. The long view and the scattered showers add some fine context to the scene.

This is a great image, David. I prefer the full frame (first image). I like the triangle formed by the two rock formations in the corner and the bright cloud in the distance. I also like the way that they frame the lines in the middle of the frame that lead my eye to the distant storms. Great conditions and great composition. Your processing also looks spot on to my eye.

Edit: I posted my thoughts before reading others’ comments because I didn’t want to be influenced by others’ comments. After reading your follow up comment, I think the different elements in the scene complement one another rather than compete for attention.

David,

Easy for me - your original full-frame post is my favorite. First, it’s a bit outside the box in terms of compositions. Like Harley, the two formations work to provide a great lead-in, or entrance, invitation to the grand landscape. I think a wonderful comp.

the others with the single foreground formation are almost static, predictable comps (although quite wonderful landscapes on their own!)

I also like that the foreground formations are not positioned exactly symmetrical makes it a more natural composition - if that makes sense. (in other words, placing each in exact symmetry would seem gimmicky…?)

I think just wonderful as captured, processed and presented.

Lon

@Mark_Seaver @Brian_Schrayer @Lon_Overacker
Thanks guys for your comments. I very much appreciate it.
It seems pretty unanimous that the original image is the favorite. I’m also glad you don’t think the differing elements compete for attention. I almost felt there was too much going on which is why I thought the elements were competing for attention. Good to know they are not.
Thanks again guys.