Storm over the Quirang, Isle of Skye

This image was taken 1 year ago when my family and I met up with my sister and her family who live in London. We immediately set out for Scotland and part of our itinerary was to spend a few days on the Isle of Skye. What a place for photographers. One of my favorite spots was the Quirang, a hilly and rocky outcropping that flows right down to the sea. The day we were there it was fairly stormy with on and off rain squalls making for some interesting and challenging hiking, but also some good opportunities for me to grab a few stormy images. This shot was taken from the trail about a mile in from the parking area looking out towards the small town below and the sea. As always, let me know what you think and how I might be able to improve this image. Thanks for taking the time to have a look!

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any Please

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all ideas.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon Z7, 24-70mm, shot at 24mm, ISO 100, 1/200 @ f/9, tripod

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The light is wonderful here. The clouds came out very nicely, which can be difficult due to dynamic range issues.

With the perfectly exposed clouds and interesting terrain this is a photo for the Visit Skye brochure. Nicely composed. I found myself trying to add drama by some burning to emphasize an S curve in the terrain and to add a bit more contrast to the sky. But maybe the original’s moderate tonality better conveys your feeling about the place.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov, @Dick_Knudson for taking the time to have a look at this image. The dynamic range was not so great that I needed to exposure blend multiple images but it was very close. Thanks Dick for the rework you did on emphasizing the S curve in the foreground. I think it’s an improvement in an otherwise flat foreground. It certainly improves the path that the eye takes going through the image. I also like the added contrast to the clouds that your rework provides.

1 Like