Strange Iris Face

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Canon 5d Mk III, canon 180 macro, f 5 , 1/800sec, iso 200.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Quite unusual to see a partially opened iris, John. I like the geometry and the way the slant mimics the background. To my eye, it looks like you could bring the whites up a bit. It looks a little dull on my screen.

Wayne: I like that it’s not apparent that this is a bud opening or the flower fading. In any event I like the comp and BG and the details in the beard are especially nice. On closer inspection this looks like an opening bud and if so I hope you got some shots of the full bloom too. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks Bill, Awaiting for the peach color Iris to pop.

Interesting portrait here John and I like the longitudinal aspect of your composition. Background is nicely blurred and sets off the flower well. Really enjoy the “tongue” sticking out. Agree with Dennis, the whites could be a tad brighter. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jim, Using “spider 5” for monitor adjustment and keep bright control on monitor fairly high. Do you know if there is a norm for monitor setting because all post processing depends on it. Also, no one has mentioned it but there appears to be a newborn face in the darker area.
Thanks,
Wayne

Hi John, I’m not aware of any norm, if you mean setting…it
would probably vary among all the different monitors available.
If I’m unsure of my display colors I’ll sometimes print out a
small 4 X 6 print just to check. In the past, I’ve also used
other screens in the house to compare…a tablet, laptop, and flat
screen tv which can display photos. On the other hand, your
monitor may be portraying the white accurately, in which case, a
post-processing boost would be required. I am certainly no expert
in this area, and don’t even own a calibration tool, so just my
thoughts on it.

Thanks, Jim
Guess it all starts with correct white balance in the camera.