Stumped #3

Here are two views of another section of “my favorite stump”. While they’re not identical in content, they are the same area under different light. This section is actually vertical, but the horizontal view “feels” better to me. That may relate to the fact that the impact of an image increases with the area it occupies in our vision.

Softer light: 5 shot stack

Strong light: 6 shot stack

1 Like

Mark, I am enjoying your favorite stump, which is fast becoming my favorite stump as well. I appreciate you sharing it with us.

I too like the horizonal view. To me they both look like an aerial view of some very rough terrain. The stronger light one especially portrays that to me. So, for me, in seeing it like an aerial shot, I might would want to warm it a bit like it is the early or afternoon sun.

The one with softer light though, allows the eye to enjoy the texture and lines with better details. I like them both very much and I’m having a hard time picking a favorite. Looking forward to more “stump” shots!

Shirley, your suggestion of subtly warming the higher contrast view is a good one. I tried it and like the result. Thanks.

Hope your holidays are great!

1 Like

You’re getting great mileage out of this stump. I love the strong light shot best as it shows the rugged nature of the “terrain”.

Great photo Mark. I love the strong light one as well. In fact, the photo almost looks like a arial view of a canyon somewhat

I also prefer the strong light, Mark. In the softer light shot, the central part lacks detail to my eye. I also like Shirley’s suggestion very much. Your comment that “the impact of an image increases with the area it occupies in our vision” implies to me that - in this sort of image - a landscape format is preferable to a portrait one as it occupies our vision more. I wonder why. Like for others, this conjures up for me an alternative view of rugged terrain - and if I were flying over such terrain it might well conjure up tree bark! I think this sort of ambiguity makes a photo more interesting. If you’d given us the portrait view, it might be too obviously tree bark, and that would be that.

Well seen, Mark. I am a big fan of stump abstracts, so I just had to play with this. My first thought was to wonder what would happen if more colors were brought out. The attached is a subdued version of that direction. Then I wondered if a face could be suggested …
My result just goes to show how stimulating your image can be. to one’s imagination.