Stumped #1

It’s been a while since I paid attention to Macro. I needed some time off (often good for creativity, he said hopefully), plus we finally got to spend time in our Montana home. Back in Maryland, I discovered this amazing tree stump in the yard of our new home (a COVID isolation result…). The first post is the actual view (the top is barely out of the frame, so other angles show edges), while the second post is rotated and cropped to emphasize the humanoid look. A 5 shot stack for depth-of-field. (5D3, 180mm macro, 1/60 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod) I’m looking forward to visiting and revisiting this stump under different lighting conditions.

Actual view:

Rotated and cropped (to 8.5 x 11) view:

Mark, you have been missed in the macro category! I have even been trying to find time to go back into LR archive and see what I can find to submit, and it seems I get called away.

I love this old stump, and all the lines, shapes , texture and colors provided in it. At first view, it appeared like an aerial view, so I was “stumped” to find that it was an old stump. What character it has. You will have lots of fun with this.

I think I like the first shot the best. I’m not sure what, but horizonal seems like it works best. Great stump, well seen and captured. I can’t think of anything that could improve it.

I also immediately thought of a aerial view into a canyon cut through limestone with karst caverns.
The first composition gives me the strongest sense of a view down a canyon with a stream bed up the center.

Great textures, swirls, lines and negative spaces, Mark. It will be fun to see just how this old stump does throughout the seasons. Looking forward to more photos. Very nicely seen and captured.

Mark, this one is WILD… :sunglasses:
I especially like the 1st horizontal view. Lots to look at with the resulting textures, grooves, ruts, holes, and vegetation too. The large open hole provides an interesting “peep-hole” to whatever is back or up there… :cowboy_hat_face:

Mark: What a great find and a very cool comp and presentation. I’ll be the contrarian and vote for the portrait orientation. For some reason I tend to see portrait comps better than landscape. Should be a great subject going forward. >=))>

I missed this one before. In the portrait version I (fittingly) see a face – maybe a monkey-like creature with its mouth open. That also works for the first one flipped upside down.

Cool find!!

OK, I’m seeing a wild looking gorilla face here now. Eyes, nose, mouth the whole 9 yards. Very cool… :clown_face:
I really like it as presented… :sunglasses: