Succulent bloom?

Well, as most have mentioned, it’s been difficult getting out (motivation or otherwise,) but I did manage a quick little shoot last weekend. Wife and I actually visited family across down and my friend suggested I bring my macro lens because their little succulent garden was looking good. He had recently purchased a Fuji mirrorless and has been learning all he can. Anyway, had fun in a light rain using my most recent addition to my bag, the Tamron 90mm macro.

This is actually a 3-image blend. I guess it’s a focus stack, but what I did was take one image wide open to throw the bg out of focus (yet maintain repeating elements). Then I took 2 more at f/14, front of the flower, back of flower to get good detail in the flowering plant. Then combined, blended, in PS.

Anyone ID this? First image is the significant crop from the original, which is the second image, just slightly cropped. All from the same image though.

All feedback, comments, suggestions welcome. Thanks!

What technical feedback would you like if any? All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D800E, Tamron 90mm macro, f/3.5, f/14 3 image combo stack

I can’t help with the ID, but I do like both images. Of the two, I am much more drawn to the wider look. I am really enjoying the OOF background contrasting with the sharp foreground. Maybe tone down the spots of high value in the back is my only suggestion. Very different images and you can’t go wrong with either.

Lon, the tighter view is outstanding with superb detail and color. Of course, the raindrops add lots of interest. I’ve also done what you did with a very wide aperture to blur the background and then several sharp shots to get the subject. The ability to control dof this way is great, although it can be a lot of work. This looks like one of the many sedums.

Can’t help on the ID, Lon, I’m afraid. The first image is strong on detail, my only query being the bg area on the L which affects the balance of the shot for me; just wondering whether a slight rotation counter-clockwise and mayb a slight crop from the L would be stronger ?? The second image is my favourite - I like seeing the context, with its sense of flowers floating away into space.

I like them both Lon, thanks for posting both. The colors give a nice warm feelilng and the DOF is great. Thank you for explaining your process, I’m going to give this a try next time I’m out with my macro lens.

A very pretty bloom, Lon. Love the colors and shapes in this. I have no idea the ID, but it is pretty, and you did a great job stacking it. The water drops are a nice extra. I like both images.

Lon: I’m one for filling the frame for the most part but I definitely prefer the second wider shot. It’s more dynamic and just more interesting IMO. I might have cropped the tight shot even closer to eliminate all of the BG but this does work for me as is. Looks like you’re enjoying that macro lens. Keep 'em coming. >=))>

Excellent closeup / macro take here, Lon. The bright yellow with some subtle green here and there is very eye catching. Especially with the natural red outline on the leaves?..I find both work for me, but lean toward the cropped version… :sunglasses:

Thank you all for your kind words, keen observations and suggestions. Much appreciated.

thanks Ian. The area on the Left - is that the upper left? or the darker middle left? the ULC I thought might be problematic - it was actually much, much darker and I painted in what I thought was a compatible tone. I think it’s OK, but definitely a slight departure from the rest of the image. But I can also see the darker green being a little off.

Yeah, good call Harley. Interesting I did drop both the highlights as well as the saturation up top, but do think it could go further. In fact, that brighter yellow/green blotch UL could go. Maybe I’ll rotate it out of the way - that would line up the two oof flowers better too. hmmm.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver for the comments and ID. I think you’re correct - after a little research on my own.

Thank you also @linda_mellor, @Shirley_Freeman, @Bill_Fach and @Paul_Breitkreuz for your comments too!

One more pair on the way, but I don’t want to deplete my stash all at once!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Lon,

Not sure what species of succulent that you photographed. I like the first version–excellent color and sharpness. I think your placement of the center of the rosette of leaves is perfect for the shot, Well done…Jim