Sunburst Peak

Any critics or opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Wonderful dynamic image, Randall. You must have had fun at this shoot!
As framed, I feel there’s more sky shown than necessary, even though the sky is quite interesting. The landscape is the subject though and I would prefer a higher horizon line; here it is roughly centered.

1 Like

Beautiful dramatic scene. The amount of sky looks right to me as is. I might look at a crop off the right side, taking off about 60% of the forest showing along the lower right corner (just inside the bigger tree along the bottom). Looks good as presented, but the crop to me gives more emphasis to the center “action”. That said, looks really nice as presented, too.

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I’ll play around with the crop a bit.

Thanks Harley, you mean something like this?

2 Likes

I like this framing much better, Blake. The horizon is slightly higher, the central peak is slightly off-center, and the foreground landform serves as a leading line. Very nice.

1 Like

Blake, this is a lovely image as presented (the processing is very nice done), but I find myself agreeing with @Matt_Lancaster. This is one of the rare cases where I would consider cropping away part of an interesting sky. I am attracted to the grand sense of scale created by all of the foreground. And I’m not as attracted to the squarish crop of your repost, which I think loses some sense of that vastness. I would consider an alternate panoramic crop like this

2 Likes

Blake, that is a bit further than I cropped. I would have cropped about 2/3 of what you cropped. But it comes down to personal preference and what you like best. Your cropped version works quite well too.

Interesting seeing the cropped sky version. I find the sky crop takes away a bit of the feeling of vastness, something I quite enjoy in this image. But again, very much a personal preference. No matter how you do it, this is an excellent image.

2 Likes

Wow, the light and view here is spectacular, Blake. I do not think you could go wrong with any of the crop suggestions as it is just a matter of personal preference, although I am partial to Harley’s.

@Harley_Goldman @Ed_Lowe @Ed_McGuirk @Matt_Lancaster Ty so much guys, great feed back.! I’ll play around with the crop a bit.

1 Like

I like the image cropped from the right. It appears more light-filled. Nice processing all around.

1 Like

Ty Tony, the Tk panel was instrumental.

Blake,

Awesome! Beautiful light! I especially like how the base of the main mountain is lit up (I’m assuming these would be called alluvial fans, but there may be a different name for the rock/snow fall creating them.) Anyway, I too like a slight crop off the right if anything to keep hold of the light in the frame and back with the main show. Sky works beautifully for me as shown.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks Lon :beers: