Sunrise at Beavertail

This morning I had the good fortune of witnessing a full moon set ( of course, I photographed that too ) as well as this sunrise
I chose a slow shutter speed for the foreground as i feel it to be more soothing

Specific Feedback Requested

any artsy or technical suggetsions

Technical Details

Foreground 10 seconds

1 Like

Wow, Karl, this is stunning. I love the foreground, the horizon, and the wonderful sky with the sun rising. Noting to suggest for changes here, just enjoying the overall scene. Well done.

This is so beautiful. I think you rendered the early morning light on the rocks and water about as well as you can. I just noticed the warmth of the sun on the white foam that outlines those rocks. That really looks cool. I might slightly saturate the warm hues in that area to further bring attention to it.

Thanks @David_Bostock and @Igor_Doncov

Tried this - hopefully havent gone overboard !

Wonderful image! Soft, soothing, understated. Beautifully composed. Is this Beavertail on Jamestown, Rhode Island? I often shoot from Narragansett toward Beavertail. This is great. Don’t change anything!

1 Like

This is at Beavertail Light - looking east
Just been to Hazard, Bass and Black point - all GREAT locations!

I go to Black Point at dawn often. I actually live in Colorado, but my wife’s family all live in the Narragansett area so I’m there a lot.

Hi Karl, I like the original post the best. It has a great moody feeling that is taken away in the lightened image rework. I really like the colors in this photo and I think the decision to go with a long exposure was an ideal choice, especially for the water. Great work on this one.

I think the foreground is too bright in comparison to the sky… it feels unbalanced and unnatural. I think if you were to find a way to balance them out better, it would be a stronger image. I’m guessing you used a grad in the field or in post.

I agree @Matt_Payne - hopefully more balanced now - thanks!

Karl,

I love the shutter speed blending technique. I like both edits, but I feel the first conveys more mood!