Sunrise at Minus Five

I shot this at the famous Snake River overlook in the Tetons in February. A bit different than my previous shots there as I had to wade through 3 to 4 feet of snow to get to the overlook. Plus it was minus five degrees. A few other brave photographers were also there. A nice alpin glow and then the sun appeared. I like this with the balanced clouds on either side of the frame. Normally I would crop out the cloud on the left. My favorite part of the image is the color cast from the clouds onto the snowy mountainside. I have shot many sunrises but I felt I really earned this one.

Nikon D750 Nikon 24-120, ISO 100, F14, 1/8th

Comments and critiques appreciate

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Andrew,

Quite the beautiful and breathtaking scene. I think the colors/processing look great.

The thing about these classic overlooks (Tunnel View, Virgin River, etc.) is that there is always a chance of catching something magical; combine that with tremendous natural beauty and it’s hard to go wrong. I think this is one of those moments and you were there to capture it.

Hard to suggest anything, but I would be tempted to crop up from the bottom just a tad, maybe to to the top of the little “v” near the bottom of the right hand tree. But it’s not a major change.

Lon

Gorgeous shot, beautiful location and stunning conditions. I don’t think there is much to improve on this shot but I went ahead and tried anyways.

I added a bit of a gradient from the top and bottom
Cloned out that one cloud that was half in the frame
Shifted the aquas to blue in HSL
Increased the tint a tiny bit
Rotated the image slightly
Cropped as lon suggested

Very subtle changes but hopefully there is something useful in there. If not it is awesome as is.

Blake, Thanks so much for your rework. I really appreciate the extra effort to help me make my image the best it can be. Another reason why I enjoy the NPN is photographers willing to share their knowledge.

Lovely shot Andrew. I like the composition and that light! I like what Blake has done with the edit, adding in some minor tweaks that makes a difference.

I like the couple of tweaks that Blake made with the image, Andrew. They have elevated an already lovely scene another notch. Even though it looks cold the bit of warmth on the peaks makes this an inviting image. Nicely done.

Andrew, I’m really enjoying seeing this classic scene rendered in a very unusual way. Shooting this in winter puts a whole different spin on this location. I like the changes made by @Blake_Randall.

While I like this as presented, if you wanted to take this in another direction I might consider a more panoramic aspect ratio, I think it would place even more emphasis on the Tetons (and nearly all the best clouds are near the top of the mountain anyway).

1 Like

Ed, Good suggestion. I am going to give that a try. Appreciate your input