Sunrise @ Bodie Island Lighthouse

After staying late into the night to shoot after the moon went done, I hadn’t planned on getting up for sunrise. But, dumb a$$ that I am, I realized I left my room keys in the room. So I napped in the car for a few hours and was greeted with some nice light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D800, 17mm, 30 sec @ f/11, ISO 100

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
8 Likes

Beautiful! Excellent color , sky, and pathway leading into the lighthouse. Reminds me of the wetland areas adjacent to the cranberry bogs in Mass. I lived in New Haven in the mid 50’s.

Great take on the lighthouse. Great sky and warm light to go with it. No nits here.

Living in NC, I have visited this lighthouse before, but not with such a beautiful sky to go with it. Very nice, Michael. Love the lighting and that beautiful NC sky that we get so often down here. :+1: :+1:

You should leave your keys in the room more often. What a great shot.

Stunning color and excellent lead in Michael. Besides the fantastic sky, I love the warm light on the grass.

Gorgeous, Michael, well worth the overnight stay in your car, well done.

Well that sure worked out well. You need to forget the keys more often! Great color; you really caught an amazing sunrise. It works very well with the strong composition, and I love the touch of the light in the lighthouse.

Hi @Michael_Lowe, gorgeous shot. I love the light and how you processed it. Composition is well balanced. Regarding the foreground, i would process the light a little bit tending to yellow tones instead of magenta. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Sometimes you have to sleep in a car or be lucky or both ! How bad can it be with a result as this ? Beautiful.

Thanks @John_Williams, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Harley_Goldman, @Eva_McDermott, @Shirley_Freeman, @David_Schoen, @Jim_Gavin, @Reno_DiTullio, @masdamb for the kind comments and suggestions.

1 Like

Also thanks to @rjWilner, @Kathy_Barnhart, @Ralph_Yakaboski, @jeremysmythe and @linda_mellor for the likes.

1 Like

Mike,
Forgetting your motel key certainly turned out to be a fortuitous moment as you would not have been back to catch this amazing sunrise. Sometimes things just work out. As in the prior post the boardwalk pulls me nicely into the scene toward the lighthouse and that drama laden sky. I am also really liking the warm light as it lights up the reeds. Beautifully done!

Very nice and inviting composition with the pathway. The light is a bit more than just nice :wink: Funny how this came to be, with being forced to stay! :slight_smile: :+1: