Sunset at Calaveras Reservior

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is much appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is much appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Edited in Lightroom with some local adjustment brushes graduated filters and the like.
Canon 6D 70-200 f/4L
126mm f/9 1/125s ISO 250

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @madsenjoel

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hey Joel welcome to the community and gorgeous shot! The light and composition are excellent. I like how you balanced the horse in the bottom left third with the mountains in the top right third. I think I would personally burn and desaturate a bit of the greens in the foreground to emphasis the horse and beautiful background.

Thanks, I am super excited about finding this group. It seems like a really good environment to learn and collaborate.

Hi Joel, welcome. This turned out beautiful. I see what Blake is saying, but on the other hand, spring can throw some vibrant greens and it pops as is. You can’t go wrong either way, but would make a good experiment. Great pastoral scene.

The comp looks good to me. I might reduce the red in the horse and see if that suits your taste.

Yeah, I think in boosting the shadows of the horse I need to counterbalance by losing some of the red saturation.

Joel,

A bit late, but wanted to welcome you to NPN! A wonderful first post. I’ve been on this back country drive many times when I often had to commute between Cupertino/Mt.View and back home in Livermore; although it’s been several years since I’ve been back there. I had always found it difficult shooting simply because there’s very few places to safely pull over. But your vantage point here is excellent. The grazing horse really completes the image and is especially beautiful with the late light highlighting the colors of the horse - and the grasses. Beautifully seen and captured!

We look forward to more of your images and contributions!

Lon

Yeah, I commute from Milpitas to Livermore quite often and this is a good route to avoid 680 traffic in the evening.

This particular spot is actually a bit out of the way from Calaveras Rd…(there’s really no great spots to pull over on Calaveras Rd.)