Sunset Sanderling

Some weeks ago I went to the beach around sun set to see if I could frame Sanderlings against the setting sun. It resulted in some Sahara-style images, but don’t be fooled, this is a Dutch beach and I was wearing down jacket and rain pants. Made some more, you can check this at: https://www.hansoverduin.nl/calidris-kitsch/
Thanks for any comments !

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/1250s | f4 | ISO720 | overexposed 2FS | camera on Skimmer Groundpod . Lightened up the shadows in postprocessing.

1 Like

Hans: Your style is instantly identifiable, and that is a GREAT thing. Low angles, environment, mood, light,… Hans…

I really like this image. Such a soft palette of light, lovely story, killer image. Nothing else I can add.

1 Like

They are all lovely photos Hans. You certainly captured the light at those moments. I like how you kept the Sanderling small in the frames; it gives a very nice sense of time and place still with a strong focal point.

1 Like

Pretty light and color… I think the bird could be lightened a tad…

1 Like

Thanks Keith ! Always nice to hear :slight_smile: !

Just outstanding! No nits here. The whole series on your webpage is really nice to look at. And yes, if people cooperated, the whole Covid mess would go away sooner.

1 Like

Different and very beautiful, Hans. The lighting is awesome. I checked your blog and they are all impressive. I think I prefer the first one from your blog over this and though it’s not as colorful , the image with the Sanderling leaning over the foam line is probably my favorite.

1 Like

Readily identifiable as a Hans Overduin beautiful image. I second Dennis’ favorite of the leaning over the foam image. All are wonderful, but I especially like it.

1 Like

Hi Hans
I thought you Dans were tuff, looks like Summer to me. Really nice work, your effort shows in the photograph. As for your blog, I vote for this one and the last photo. Thank you for sharing this photographs.
Peter