Sandy Situation

Recently I visited the German island of Heligoland for both birding and bird photography. We had back luck with the weather, in so far that we had very dark clouds and strong winds. But, as this little Lapland Longspur was standing its ground, I decided not to complain and make the most of it. The sand crept everywhere, but I survived :wink: … More on my blog https://www.hansoverduin.nl/lapland-longspur-at-last/

Thanks for viewing and any thoughts shared ! Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/1250s | f4.5 | ISO450 | overexposed 2/3 EV | handheld while lying in the beach
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You caught the blowing sand well and the partially closed eye adds to the effect.

Lovely environmental image, Hans. You caught the feel very well and the half closed eyes of the Longspur add to it a lot.

At first I thought this was a snowstorm. But sand works also. I like the muted colors created by the storm. Perfect depth of field to make this work. Fascinating image.

Hi Hans, the blowing sand really creates a lot of interest and the expression of the bird adds to that effect. Very interesting capture. Nits to me are the feet being obscured by the foreground and I could see the bird being placed more left in the frame.