Sand storm

A few days ago when quite some wind was predicted I headed out to a stretch of beach where I hope to shoot Snow Buntings in ‘harsh’ conditions. The plan worked out, although due to this conditions it took me over a hour to find a little group of five birds.
More, if you like, in my latest blog: www.hansoverduin.nl/blog/

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/800 | f5 | ISO320 | overexposed 1 2/3 FS | handheld while lying on the sand

1 Like

A superb environmental and behavioral image, Hans, and quite artistic as well. Very well done. I hope your equipment survived this.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank , and it looks my equipment survived, I actually bought a soft make-up brush at the drugstore that I use for cleaning afterwards when everything is dried-up . And I had to learn to minimise the use of the dials and buttons on my camera when in the field in these conditions… Other than that: the stuff is meant to be used :wink:

Hi Hans
When I first looked at this photograph I thought you were in snow, that much sand can really be hard on the camera and lens. Did you any covering on the camera and lens? This is a great shot. I am surprised the Snow Bunting isn’t hunkered down.
Peter
Nikon for lens up to 600mm# Lens Rain Cover (Large) $129.00
PortaBrace Rain Slicker Waterproof Raincover of Nikon Z9 $75.95 at B&H
Hans your to hard on your self.

Hello, @peter , the answer is ‘no’. I know I should, and have some protection stuff but always forget it. Plus it needs to be mounted with the sun hood attached, and then it doesn’t fit in my bag anymore. And attaching the sleeve in these circumstances makes things worse. I know there’s good solutions out there, but I always forget to get some of that… call me plain stupid :wink:

I missed this one, great shot Hans.
You probably found sand everywhere in your cloths, an indication of what the bird had to cope with.
Thanks for sharing, no nits.