Survival on the Edge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is another image from my recent snow shoe hike up in the mountains east of where I live. The trees manage to survive the harsh conditions living on the edge of the mountain cliffs. They are battered by the upslope winds and in the winter, the ice and snow, yet are still beautiful. My intent was to help convey that story.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM-1 Mark II, 7-14mm f/2.8 @ 14mm, ISO 200, 1/125 @ f/11
Slight Crop.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Keith, this is a stunning winter scene. I really like the composition and the bit of diagonal flow to the scene. Although a very monochrome image, I like the color version here with the small amount of color related items in contrast…:+1:

Keith,

You’ve beautifully captured both the snow and the tree and YES, you are able to convey the story of the harsh conditions as evidenced by this survivor of a tree.

Initially I am torn by the amount of empty space, but ultimately that snow too is an important part of the story and couldn’t recommend doing anything differently.

I think your processing here is superb.

Lon

Pretty neat little scene, Keith. It’s amazing how hardy these trees are. Yeah, I agree that the small traces of color are essential.

There is a tree near my home that is similarly positioned on the edge of a drop off, but I haven’t yet gotten the image I’ve envisioned. You’ve done a great job here to provide interest in its harsh environment and a story of its survival. Well done.

P.S. Would also be nice if a red cardinal arrived or a skier was in the scene. :laughing:

Wow Keith, you had some really special conditions on this hike. This image and your prior post are pretty unique, thank you for sharing them with us. Usually my personal taste is to avoid large areas of negative space, but I think it works in this image. By placing the diagonal horizon such that it divides the image in half, you create a nice contrast between the shape and texture above, and the snow below. I also love those little trees to the right. Nicely done.