Sweat Bee Frenetically Collecting Pollen

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D Mark II, EF 100mm f2.8 Macro
1/125, f/5.0 ISO 400
Hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A gorgeous and different capture! Beautiful sharpness and lovely composition, and extra points for doing it handheld. The gradients in the red are so pleasing and match the loss of focus. For me, I’d consider a crop from the top to about halfway to the stamens, to keep my eye where the action is.

Marc: Welcome to NPN in general and to Macro critiques in particular. I agree with Diane regarding the reds and the crop. I also like your DOF/POF management.
On an administrative note, please resize your posts to somewhere close to 1500 pixels on the long side. Posting full resolution images taxes the server a bit and makes your images much more inviting targets for image thieves. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of your work. >=))>

Marc, I also would like to welcome you to NPN. Great to have you here. I love this image. I really like the crop that Bill made as Diane suggested. It really draws the eye to a very sharp subject. I also agree with both about how the soft gradient out of focus reds are so pleasing. Excellent image. Again, welcome.

1 Like

Thanks Diane for taking the time to do such a thoughtful critique! I’m going to try it with the crop you suggested.

Thanks Bill. I agree with the crop Diane suggested and you provided. Going forward, I will resize as you indicated.

Hi Marc, and welcome!
Very nice selective focus on the bug with excellent lighting to illuminate it. Agree with the crop suggestion above. An intriguing image.