"Sweet" Oak Grove

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This little sweet grove of oaks is not far from my home in California. I love the intimacy of the setting and especially the feeling I get when I photograph it in infrared. Tony, I am always inspired by your work! Thanks for any feedback you might have.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 40 mm, F 14 ,1/60
Sony a7RIII, converted 720 nm
Lr post processing with Luminar Neo “Mystical” adjustment

4 Likes

Julia, this is lovely! There is a path of light that takes us from bottom of frame through those delicate trees, and it engages us and invites us to follow along a silvery path. Having lived in northern California for many years, I too love these oaks and grassy meadows! Well done, overall.

Hey Bren! Great to “see” you here!

1 Like

Hi Julia and thanks so much for your kind words.

I love the easy feel of the trees in this scene, which is a perfect infrared setting, and the leading line that nicely pulls the viewer through the pathway running through the center of the image. Excellent composition! Well done!

…but consider a few things:

• Notice that the trees at the right and left sides of the frame aren’t equi-distant from the edges of the frame, creating an imbalance in the image, which can pull the eye away from where you want to viewer to be. Making the spaces even neutralizes the edges allowing the viewer to pass through the frame without distraction.

*The vignette is a bit strong and interrupts the visual flow of the image. A lighter black vignette may work a bit better. Basically, with infrared, I try to maintain the light feel on delicate images like this. So, in addition to a black vignette, try a white vignette.

• tip: rather than pumping up contrast, which is what most of us do, on this type of image, try slightly lowering contrast, which will lighten the blacks, to maintain the delicate nature of the image.

Thanks for your excellent submission!

1 Like

Thank you, Tony for this very helpful critique! I tried the white vignette and didn’t care for it, but instead, widened and lightened the vignette. I made all the other adjustments. I agree, I think it looks a lot more delicate and dreamy.

1 Like

Thank you, Brenda!

Excellent reprocessing, Julia!!

My best,

Tony

1 Like