Taggerty River Moss

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I was drawn to the light. I wish I had waited for better light on the mossy tree on the right. I would have liked for that tree to equally anchor the rest of the scene with the rocks.

I had a crazy amount of chromatic aberration on the left hand side where the greens meet the water and it took quite a bit of post processing to get rid of it. I was much happier with the tonality of the water in that one patch on the left, before all this took place, but I had a hard time bringing it back without it looking weird. I haven’t experienced that much CA before or since and not really sure what I did.

Creative direction

The direction on this day, was to capture images where I could work on my control of greens in a forest scene.

Specific Feedback

Looking for any and all feedback that comes to you, but if I had to choose specifics I would ask for Composition, colour, and your opinion on the post processing.

Technical Details

Canon 5d Mark iv, Ef 16-35 2.8L

16mm, f/11, 0.6 sec

Focus Stacked.

Description

This was at the start of spring here in Australia. The river was ripping from snow melt from the surrounding hills / mountains and the greens were ridiculous. I hadn’t been to this area before and it really was a magically place with so many possibilities for compositions.

1 Like

What’s fascinating to me James, is that the river detracts to my eye; that’s the exact opposite of my expectation if someone were verbally describing the image to me. The surrounding foreground is beautiful colors and textures, with wonderful shadows to explore; very mysterious. Especially noting your goal, I find myself wondering what would have been the result of turning the camera away from the river to capture just those wonderful boulders and forest. Did you happen to take any “just forest” images?

1 Like

There is an almost voyeuristic outlook on nature in this image. I have experienced such visions in the rainforests of Guatemala where all is dark and there is an opening in the foliage. You feel as though you are peeking from one world into another. However, I feel that shadows on bothe the right and left side are darker than needed and was wondering if this is due to vignetting. If so, then I would back off some.

1 Like

What a gorgeous scene. Those mossy boulders in the foreground are wonderful. I agree with John that the very bright water almost overwhelms the scene. With that strong fallen log across the scene, the area of water is the most contrast-y part of the frame.

Since you said that you were working on greens and moss, I think that toning down the water and brightening parts of the mossy boulders would enhance that vision. I gave it a quick whirl - darkened the lights in the water and in that brightest bit of vegetation middle top, dodged the tops of the boulders where there is existing light, and toned down the vignette(?) as Igor suggested. It’s a very cool scene at any rate and your composition is lovely and balanced.

James,

Welcome to NPN! This is simply wonderful! Much to say, but first I want to say how refreshing this is - that is as far as “forest” or creekside scenes, initimate forest scenes; refreshing because of how different this is. Most often it seems is that folks focus on the stream, the cascades… and have the forest and boulders frame the scene. This is the opposite to me. This image is all about the forest (of boulders!) - another unique aspect. The presence of the rushing water is perfectly included, yet isn’t the dominant feature. I think this makes this quite unique and special.

Also a great example of the term we frequent… “order from chaos.” Well done on the vision and capture.

Strong composition too - not much to critique there. Maybe shaving a smidge off the right side, but that’s pretty minor. Every element works -even the fallen log.

Processing is excellent as well. You certainly managed to control the greens well. And as we often say as well, color/saturation is mostly subjective … but I will say that I’m really enjoying Bonnie’s edit. Personally, I’m one who will push color, contrast and saturation just enough… but try and stop before it starts becoming unreal.

Beautifully captured, processed and presented! Looking forward to more!

Lon

1 Like

Often we struggle between details and atmosphere. It seems to me the case of your original image and Bonnie’s version. May be something between? I love the photo, espetially composition and colors. Welcome.

1 Like

@John_Williams I really like your thoughts on this. I need to go back and shoot this forest more often. I think I would gain a lot by going there frequently and working on similar compositions over and over. Thank you.

@Bonnie_Lampley I really like your edit. Thank you for doing that - very cool!

@Igor_Doncov I would agree with you after seeing Bonnie’s edit. Thank you for your words!

@Lon_Overacker Your thoughts on the composition, was my aim. I wanted the frame to be the star, as in the mossy trees and rocks. Thank you Lon!

@Giuseppe_Guadagno Thank you for your thoughts!

1 Like