Takeoff

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

American Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

This is from a local business park. The Eagle had been sitting still for several minutes. I headed back to my car and turned around to see that I had a decent still shot. I saw that he was fidgeting a bit so set my camera to high speed in the hopes that he might take off. And luckily I grabbed this sequence.

The Fujifilm X-H2S has a great feature called Pre-Shot ES (I’m sure other cameras have something similar). With the Electronic Shutter and High Speed Burst on, this setting will record images in the buffer while the shutter is pressed half-way. If you release the shutter then the buffer is cleared out. If you press the shutter all the way, those images are transferred to your card. This is a great way to accommodate my aging reaction ability. I am sure that the first image and possibly the second one were in the buffer before I could act fast enough to press the shutter.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/1600 sec @ f/8, ISO 1600

Wonderful sequence with excellent sharpness and detail! That feature would be a real life-saver when a bird takes off unexpectedly.

1 Like

Very nice sequence, David. It looks like the focus might have been on the branches if front in the first image, but it’s close enough. My personal preference is for the second shot due to wing position, lighting and sharpness.

1 Like

Great sequence, David. You were prepared by having your camera with you and ready to shoot. My favorite is the second image because the wings are well lit, the wing position is dynamic, and there is a little bit of light hitting his head. The third shot has really nice light on it as well but I prefer the wing position on the second.
I shoot Nikon and they have Pre Capture Release where you can grab up to 2 seconds worth of images so long as you are half pressing the shutter BUT, it’s only available in Jpeg… but you can get 120 frames a second in Jpeg. I think all camera brands will have a similar feature in the next couple of years. Good that you were activating it while waiting for the leap.

1 Like

Nice sequence. I like the take-off pose in the first image. There seems to be a slight blue cast over the head feathers.

Thanks Allen, I appreciate your comments. I did a selection mask on the heads of each shot to try to balance the colors there. They either felt too yellow or too blue. Guess I went a bit too blue on the first one…I’ll make a tweak there.

Cheers,
David