Talking a walk

I was at the local botanical gardens last August just as they were opening again and found this little spider, not sure the ID. This was cropped a bit because I wanted to keep the focus on this small spider.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything helps

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6D ii (wrong Camera) and the 180 macro. Did use a diffused flash and was HH. ISO 1000 1/640 f/18

2 Likes

Dean, what a great find. I think it is some type of crab spider, just judging from the legs. I love the colors of him, and how the plant stems seem to compliment him. The hairs on the plant stem look very similar to the hairs on the spider’s head. My first thought was, the subject is centered in the composition. But the more I looked at the image, the more it didn’t seem so bothersome, and I think it might be that the “Y” shape of the stem balances the image quite nicely. Just my thought.

Wonderful detail in this little spider, Dean. The bright color palette just add to the energy of the scene. I am not certain about the ID either, although I have seen the pattern on his back on spiders around here but they were not nearly as colorful. Nicely seen and captured.

Very nice and very colorful. Good job on the focus and use of flash. I would be tempted to have the spider a bit to the left and even up a bit if you have the room. A really nice pose on the spider.

Really nice details in the spider! The body looks like it’s a lantern lit up from inside! Great capture!

I missed this one back in June - shame on me because it’s a nice view of a spider on the prowl. To me it looks more like an orb weaver - there are a few that come in this kind of coloring - Araneus marmoreus (marbled orb weaver), A. ivei (orange orb weaver) and A. partitus (no common name). Out of the three I’d have to go with marbled because they vary wider in markings and coloration.