Green Crab Spider

I saw this guy in what is left of our flower garden since frost has hit. I ran back and got my camera and shot this. I was amazed that he is still hanging around, because I am sure that his food source is getting scarce. Appreciate you taking the time to view, and any comments/critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash, manual settings of f19, 1/60, ISO 160, handheld. Edited in LR and Topaz. Cropped slightly from right for better composition. I realized after I had taken this that I was a bit tight, cutting off some of his feet and legs, but I was trying to get him magnified up to enjoy viewing him and not some much his enviornment.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like the translucent body and the green and golds. Agree the crop is a bit tight but a fascinating world - thank you

1 Like

A beautiful green lynx spiderā€¦a female mostly. If so Ina few days you see her nest and spiderlings. A dealdly predator
Balan Vinod

1 Like

Balan, thanks for the correction on the spider, not sure where I got the idea it was called a ā€œGreen Crabā€. Lynx is it, I remember now. Also, thanks for then info, I will keep a close watch on her. Yes, it is a deadly predator, I have seen them in action. Charles, thanks so much for viewing and your comments as well.

Great photo! The side view brings out the fact that she appears to be intent on looking for prey, which gives the photo more meaning, to me. Very nice.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

A very nice photo of this lynx spider. You could try to reduce either the saturation of magenta or red slightly to make the greens on the spider more apparent. Other than that, Well doneā€¦Jim

1 Like

Shirley: Great find and a solid capture. Iā€™m OK with the crop although a touch more room up top would suit me better. Many kudos.>=))>

1 Like

Shirley, spiders with long legs always present a dilemma. Do you want to show of the body and eyes, which means cutting off legs or do you show the entire critter. In this case, the translucent body and spotted upper legs show up very well. I also like all of the crumpled leaves and bits of webbing, both of which are characteristic of leaf litter this time of the year.

1 Like