Green Crab Spider

I think I have properly identified this little guy. He waits on our flowers for the unsuspecting insect that might come along enjoying a bit of pollen from the flowers, and he attacks, kills eats his prey.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you see.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you see. I was wondering if the square format is best for this composition? Border work well?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark II (manual setting), Canon 100 mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash, hand held. Settings f16, 1/180, ISO 160.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Shirley, this is a fine look at this spider, with it’s clear green color set against the coneflower. Your square crop fits well. As a very minor nit, I’d suggest just a bit more space both top and bottom if you have it. The details in the spider are outstanding.

Having gone on-line to try my own ID (since I’m not much good at spider ID and would like to get better), I see why you picked it. However, I think it’s possible that this is a Green Lynx spider (see https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Green-Lynx-Spider) because of the hairy legs. For most crab spiders, the two pair of front legs are much longer than the two pair of hind legs while in this view all legs look long.

First of all, Mark, welcome back! I do miss your reviews and comments when you aren’t on here. So glad that your brother seems okay too.

Thank you for your comments on the image. I will have to go back and revisit it, I am thinking that at the top I was running close to the edge. I just get too excited about taking the shot, and this is one of the drawbacks of handheld using the flash. On tripod, I would be taking my time, checking the edges, etc. But sometimes, insects don’t wait around for us.

Thank you also for the proper ID on him and the link. Yup, I agree, Green Lynx Spider is what he is. I have seen quite a few in our flower garden here in NC. Yesterday, I took a photo of one that had a bee in it’s clutches. Hated to see that, but that is a part of the cycle of life.

Hi Shirley,

A nice shot of a green lynx spider as I concur with Mark’s ID. Square crop is fine, but a tad tight up at the top. Other than that, I can spare no more nits. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Hi Shirley, a fine shot - love the details on the head and the colors are very nice. Agree with more room top and bottom.

1 Like

Shirley: My apologies for not commenting on this fine image sooner. I love your DOF and the details in the spider and flower that you captured. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

1 Like