Taper-Tip Onion first light

Allium acuminatum (Taper-Tip Onion)
Those folks who follow me know my passion for nature and my joy of photographing all types of images. A project I’ve been working on for several years now is the native plants as there about to open for the first time. Here is an native onion we planted in Sally’s garden ten years ago. It’s a real joy for me to explore this small world in depth often getting lost for hours. Working in high magnification requires more attention to detail than one could imagine at times. This final focus stack image needed nineteen photos to achieve the depth of field to show the entire flower in focus.

Allium acuminatum produces bulbs that are spherical, less than 2 cm across and smelling like onions. Scape is up to 40 cm tall, wearing an umbel of as many as 40 flowers. The flowers are pink to purple with yellow anthers.

The onions were eaten by first peoples in southern British Columbia. They were harvested in either early spring or late fall and usually cooked in pits. Both the bulb and the flowering stalk are edible; however, in the culinary arts, the stalk possesses a more pleasant flavour.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Laowa 100mm @2X magnification, Canon 5Dmk iv, on Nisi focus rail, on Kirk low pod camera support with Novoflex magic balance, Marshall silk scrim to defuse morning light and Marshall half stop scrim to control background light. Light balance from passport, Focus stacking 19 images in Photoshop and following minor touches in Lightroom. F 16 1/6s

2 Likes

Nice detail and colors that shows the growth pattern of this flower. Did you happen to take one at its fully open stage? Would be interested to see how it opens and shows off its magical colors.

Michael: Marvelous capture and I really enjoyed your comments regarding the life cycle and uses of the plant. Good looking stack. Kudos to you for the effort. >=))>

Michael, Great image with stacking well done. Nice colors and details. Oof background is complementary. The story behind it is interesting.

Michael, thanks for the fine image, and the very instructive information on the plant and your approach to stacking. Just a thought, but I think that decreasing the brightness of the lower right of the sepal, receptacle, and stem might reveal some nice detail and keep the viewer’s eye on the flower.