Wild Onions, I think (?)

I’ve posted these before, so it’s just a somewhat educated guess on the species. Like most of my imagery, I prefer the challenge of shooting in situ and avoid altering, preparation or special setup, just stubborn that way I suppose. These grow wild on the patio on long, gangly stems, so I like to try my patience by waiting for a lull in the breeze and for the light to cooperate. With these 1/2" blooms I usually take care to position my setup and get the blooms in reasonable focus. For this I reframed from right to left with content aware crop.

EM-1 Mk II, trusty old Zuiko 50 F2 on ball head, ISO 400 1/640 f4.5 -1 1/3EV

4 Likes

Modest little wild flowers dominate the scene thanks to sharpness, triangular composition and a suggestive soft background. I love this very natural image Bill.

Very nicely done, Bill. The detail of the flowers are really good. The tiny white flowers against the soft dark green background makes them pop out nicely.

Very much like the sharpness of the subject and the way it contrasts with the blurred background. The uncentered comp adds a bit of dynamism to the small subject. Sort of wonder if a 90 degree CW turn might also be effective. My orientation feels a bit off with the stem coming in from the top.

1 Like

Very nice, Bill - sharp flowers set in a beautifully graded background. I like the naturalness and simplicity of this.

Bill: You’re a man after my own heart regarding capture.:+1::+1: I like the amount of negative space and the BG. Superb DOF/POF choice. Most excellent.>=))>

Thanks to you all for your comments. The blooming cycle of these is fleeting, but for their diminutive size the fragrance is delightful. Best I can tell they’re some variety of Nodding Wild Onion, but I’m sure you flower experts can clarify.

@Giuseppe_Guadagno, to me triangular compositions are often most artistically appealing. @Shirley_Freeman, you have a good point about the dark green. In this case it’s ivy, and fortunately with the macro it was nicely out of the plane of focus.
@Tony_Kuyper, you bring up an interesting point. These grow out of the understory about 12-18 inches tall, and due to their flimsy architecture and prevailing wind they can be oriented in all manner of directions. So in truth when taken from above, any rotation is correct. Thanks @Ian_Wolfenden. These grow wild but sprout up on the patio. @Bill_Fach, you’re the flora guru, so hopefully you can verify what these might be.

Hi Bill

Have never seen these before! Very nice in focus portrait! Congratulations on the WP.

Fabulous colors and details. I agree with Tony’s idea, maybe rotating 90 or 180? I did that with an intimate snow image recently and it made the image pop. Or just ignore my 2 cents, because it’s a really fine image!