Temagami Sunset

VERSION 1

VERSION1a

VERSION 2

I wanted to post something intimate, subtle, and very personal this time. But I posted this instead :smile: . To be honest, I do have mixed feelings about images of this sort.
What led up to this picture was a long, particularly arduous day on the water. We almost totalled our canoe trying to make a landing in hellacious conditions of wind and surf. And then it poured. By sunset time, having finished cleaning up after dinner, my wife and I were bushed and headed up to the tent to just lie down and rest. As we were heading up, I glanced back and saw this starting to form in the sky. My first impulse was to keep walking, my second impulse was to sit down and just watch it. But in the end I couldnā€™t resist (despite my wifeā€™s patient protests) to grab my camera and tripod and see what I could do. A while ago I posted a different moment in this show in a landscape format, but I prefer this portrait mode ā€“ it better highlights the grandeur of a sky that seemed to go on forever. There is a part of me that asks, ā€œIs it too much?ā€ but there is another part that replies, ā€œHow could it ever be too much with a sky like this!ā€ Whaddya think, voice A or voice B? Naturally Iā€™d value any and all feedback.
I have posted a second, slightly brighter, less contrasted version - any preference?

Is this a composite: No

Believe it or not, though I did bracket shots, I found I was able to capture the full dynamic range without blowing out the highlights or crushing the darks all in one frame ā€“ so this isnā€™t even a blend. Modern cameras (even my little old Xt-2) are pretty amazing.

3 Likes

Glad you turned and looked back. A beauty of an image and I prefer the second less contrast version.

1 Like

Beautiful sky and great scene. I prefer the darker version 1. Great you have an understanding wife who tolerated one more time dragging out the camera gear. Well worth the effort.

This is wonderful to view Kerry. Fantastic sky with just enough support below to lead the eye in and keep the image grounded. I prefer the first version as well.

What a moment you caught here Kerry. I find it impossible to resist a scene like this no matter how tired and exhausted I am and kudos to your wife for allowing you to pursue what you love. I prefer the moodier, first version. Not that it needs it, but it has just a little bit more pop to it. Lovely shafts of light at the very bottom of the scene above the hills and a much more tranquil looking water than it sounds like you had for most of the day.
Now, your question, ā€œis it too much?ā€ Iā€™m not sure you can have a sunset thatā€™s too much. However, I would love to see if you can use one or more of your bracketed frames to help you pull some more detail out of the hot highlights in the center of the scene because I think itā€™s those hot spots that really pull the eye. I certainly donā€™t think this is too much though. You have a tremendous sky that any photographer would have had a very tough time just watching it fade into the night. Love the frame by the way. Perfectly fits this scene.

Iā€™ll go with version 2 I believe. I think what makes this sunset image special is the composition. The clouds spiral into a tighter and tighter coil and that gives this image a lot of energy. The strong contrast adds to this sense of heightened energy. This is one of the best sunset images Iā€™ve seen. All the proportions are right. Great composition.

I suspect that a lot of photographers would have shot a sunset as dramatic as this one as a horizontal., to show more of the grandeur. But I really like that you went with a vertical here, I think it does an excellent job of emphasizing the circular swirl of the golden clouds . There is a pillar of gold as you move from the water, to the horizon, to the clouds, and a vertical makes this happen. A vertical plays to the strengths of the shape of the clouds, and the flow of the light. And seeing a sunset as a vertical is not the usual cliche approach.

My personal preference is for the second, brighter version, especially for what it does in the golds at the horizon and in the water. It feels more numinous to meā€¦

Awesome image, Kerry. Iā€™ll vote for number 2 as well.

I have posted a revision of the image (see up top VERSION1a) I hedged my bets a little - the revision is 60% lighter than the dark Version 1 but 40% darker than the light Version 2.
I also took @David_Haynes advice and blended in from a seriously underexposed bracket to just bring down the brightest highlights.

@Mario_Cornacchione - As you pointed out in your most recent post - never forget to look up and around, you never know what youā€™ll see.
@Harley_Goldman - Not only does my wife tolerate my passion, but sheā€™s the best bow paddler Iā€™ll ever share a canoe with!
@John_Williams - thanks so much for taking the time to comment.
@David_Haynes - Typically near sunset the winds start to calm but we had to have our canoe in the water early the next morning otherwise find ourselves wind-bound for the rest of the day. You will notice in the revision VERSION 1a that I have blended in from a bracket that was exposed for the brightest area and was, therefore extremely dark overall. Since this image is shot directly into the sun I didnā€™t want to completely obviate the extreme highlights but I appreciate your suggestion, which does, I think, improve the image overall.
@Igor_Doncov - Thank you very much for comments, which ā€œpositiveā€ or ā€œnegativeā€ are always most welcome and thoughtful. But - ā€œone of the best sunset imagesā€ youā€™ve ever seen. My goodness, I am humbled!
@Ed_McGuirk - as usual, Ed, a very nice analysis of why this image works, particularly in portrait mode. I hadnā€™t analyzed it quite so carefully but it helps me understand my attraction to the whirling, towering effect that is heightened as a vertical.
@David_Bostock - Thanks for your comments, much appreciated as always.

Well done Kerry. Itā€™s a subtle shift but one that works to reduce that harsh edges in the highlights. Thatā€™s all it needed. Beautiful.