Temple of Light

Sierra Nevada

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

f/8, 0.8 sec, ISO 64, single raw file processed multiple times through Lightroom and Photoshop

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@luizarroyo33

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this a lot. Esp the offf center composition. Would like a little more definition in the sky but not a deal breaker.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Luiz,

Quite simply: Gorgeous! What a grand and beautiful High Sierra landscape/reflection image. I can see Michael’s observation on giving the sky more detail, but the sky is pretty special and there is clearly some quality, “range of light” happenings in the sky that are rendered beautifully. I’m not sure I would change that.

I’m not sure this is worth mentioning, but maybe this could use some micro contrast globally? I’m thinking something like an unadjusted Curves/Levels Layer in the soft light blending mode at like 5-10% opacity. Something very light and subtle.

Otherwise, this is just fantastic!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you very much for the feedback @Michael_Lowe and @Lon_Overacker .

Yeah, the light kind of forced my hand with the off center comp. Prior to sunset, I had myself positioned with a comp that was completely centered on the dominant peak to the left and its reflection. But right at sunset, the sky started glowing orange and yellow to the right of the peak, so I quickly repositioned myself and captured this image before the light faded.

I agreed with both your comments regarding the processing, so I went back into the file and added a new sky layer with more contrast, clarity, texture, and negative exposure to try put more texture in the clouds. I also made some slight global micro contrast adjustments both in the base processing and the web sharpening stages.

Thanks!

1 Like

Oh wow, Luiz, what a great composition of the Temple Crag. Straightforward but very well done. I like the revision, too. Congratulations on this beautiful image!

1 Like

This is a wonderful image, Luiz. I like this composition very much and I’m enjoying the larger view of the reposted image a lot. Beautiful.

1 Like

Beautiful take from 2nd Lake. The lighting you’ve captured is exquisite and the comp. with Temple Crag off center is different and effective. Nice work!

1 Like