Temporarily at rest

Along a trail in the Adirondacks. I am compelled to point out that the leaf was as found, not placed.

Canon 80D, 5 s, f/16, ISO 200, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 95 mm, CPL.
Raw file processed in LRClassicCC. TK resize/sharpening for web.

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Ronald, it’s always nice to be able to find scenes in situ, rather than trying to set a scene up. I think this has potential, and the lush greens are quite nice. But it might be that using 95mm and at such a close focus might be a stretch with this small area. In fact I’m surprised you were using f/16. I would have expected more definition in the lower right. Maybe repositioning to the right and using less focal length and/or backing away a little would help. Also I think slacking off on the zoom would allow you more uniform focus. To me the brown parts up top tend to detract, so I would exclude that. Just my thoughts.

Ronald,

Found images are almost always for satisfying (of course I’m as guilty as the next guy moving a leaf or pine needle - or two…) :innocent:

I think you did a good job with the selective focus and selective dof. Somewhat surprised like Bill that you didn’t get more dof, but then I suspect you were probably focused on the very close end of the range. The entire leaf is amazingly sharp and good detail throughout, yet in front and behind, nicely soft and oof.

I get that the oof areas help define and show off the sharp and in-focus leaf. For me though, my main issue is going to be the amount of oof area up front. It certainly does it’s job. I just think from a proportion and real estate point of view it’s somewhat dominant. As a suggestion, a slight equal crop off top and right might help bring even more focus on the leaf. (Maybe even some off the top? that’s just my thought, you may like the extra space around the leaf.

Lon