Tender moment

So yet another “mom and baby” photo, and yes, I did submit this several months ago under Showcase. . . but I love this image and couldn’t resist.

At the time I photograph these two I was planning on photographing birds, not animals 100ft away, so I was totally unprepared for this shot. Not the greatest photograph, but the feeling of it makes me smile.

I cropped off about 65% and did two luminosity masks (one to lighten the deer, the other to darken the background) in PS. Nikon D7200, f/18, 1/60sec., iso 400, 70-300mm @240mm, tripod.

My question is; at what point (subjective, of course) do you decide to just enjoy the moment? Or go for the shot, knowing your (me) are not really prepared to take it?? Thinking this is a rhetorical question but I would be interested in your comments and suggestions as always.
Thanks

Hi, Linda. I can see why you love this shot; I love it, too. As for your question, I have always believed in first getting the shot. I want others to enjoy my photography, of course but I am shooting for me because I love wildlife and I love being outdoors. Moments like this are rare, and though it may not be perfect, I want this moment recorded. Is the light less than perfect? Are there distractions? Is the photo less than tack sharp? So what? You obviously love this photo and I think that’s great.
Best,
Terry

Very cute! You captured an endearing moment.

You captured a very tender moment between this doe and it’s fawn, Linda! It is kind of soft due to the large crop plus the very slow shutter speed but it will let you remember and enjoy that moment many times over for as long as you want (which is why I would take the shot first and pause to enjoy afterwards so long as I have the camera in hand and ready). Speaking of in hand and ready, I’m surprised that you were intending to shoot photos of birds and your camera was pre-set for landscapes! When I know I’m after photos of birds I pre-set the camera for a higher ISO and a narrow aperture so that I can get the highest shutter speed possible with the least impact to quality as possible. f/18 is a setting you would use for a landscape where you wanted to get the rock at your feet and the distant mountain both in focus! If I was preparing for bird photos I would have the aperture as low as the lens would allow and the ISO as high as necessary to get a shutter speed of at least 1/1250 but preferably 1/2500. With those settings this shot could have been sharp as can be and easily cropped, even if you had been caught by surprise (the advantage of pre-setting for your anticipated target).

1 Like

I am quite amateur and was at first drawn to the light, especially as it hits the background, but I can see as I look at it where it would be distracting from the moment, which is/should be the focus of the image.

I would add my unprofessional opinion to go for the moment. :slight_smile: If it ends up “share-able” that’s great and if not you can still enjoy it yourself. I’m glad you chose to share.

Thank you @terryb, @Harley_Goldman, @Gary_Minish and @karlag for your comments and great input. I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’ve been photographing for many years (self taught & just point and shoot philosophy), however, only in the past year have I become seriously intent on becoming a better photographer. NPN has been an invaluable resource to me and I am immensely grateful to be a part of this community. Thanks again for your thoughts.