Tennessee Warbler

While I mostly shoot landscapes, I do enjoy shooting wildlife from time to time. Mostly birds at the moment. So I was thrilled when I managed to catch this Tennessee Warbler in my backyard while shooting the goldfinches that frequent my feeders. First time seeing one of these little guys up close. Was surprised to see him so far out of the trees, but it looks like he was after a quick snack. I’m on the fence about how busy the surroundings are.

Any feedback appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D850 • 150 - 600 Sigma (C) @ 600mm • ƒ/6.3 • 1/1250 sec • ISO 1400
Basic edits and crop in LR

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @chrisnoronhaphoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent detail in the warbler, Chris. I like the composition and eye contact and the business doesn’t bother me-it is a warbler and they hang out in trees.

Nice image. Warblers are always tough to get in the open. I like most of the environment, with the exception of the small pine branch in the top left that is protruding into the frame. Maybe a slight crop, or maybe a bit of cloning, but the rest of the environment is a nice addition.

Very nice capture, Chris! Great exposure and detail on the bird. It’s amazing how accurately its color matches the green cones (great camouflage!)

Great shot, Chris. I was thinking the same things as Gary mentioned, the amazing color matches of the cones with the bird.

Nice capture and seeing it in its environment adds a lot. The saturation and luminance of the green background does tend to draw my eye a bit.