Tenya Creek Cascade

Any feedback is fine

I’m especially interested in improving my compositional skills and post processing. My first post on NPN.

Canon 5Dm4 with 24-70 lens, Shot at 31mm, f8, iso 100, 4 sec exposure on a tripod with ND filter. I cropped in quite a bit from the original portrait orientation to this crop.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Welcome aboard, Todd. I quite like your first post. I started off thinking it was a little tight on the left, but the more I looked at it, the more I decided that was not the case. Great color and layers and a real nice S curve. Real nice post and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your comments!

Until looking at the image in the larger size, I had completely missed that there blooming flowers amongst those rocks. They add a nice splash of color in an otherwise somber hued landscape. Very nice.

Welcome to NPN, Todd. Your chosen SS works very nicely and I love the graceful lines of the terraced rock and the way they direct the eye to the waterfall. The earth tones work nicely and compliment the textures and details throughout the frame. This is a great first post and I hope to see more along with your comments on posts.

Exceptional layered image with beautiful composition. The diagonals and leading lines are superb. I find myself right in the middle of that waterfall. Excellent shutter speed
creating nice contrast between the flowing water and the highly textured granite.

Welcome Todd, I think you’ll find an enormous amount of benefit from your experience with NPN. I really like how you’ve framed the waterfall from the lower left corner, incredible lines from the lower right corner then to the big rock at the left upper region near the falls. The colors are nice, and the brightness of the rocks in the foreground compete with the brightness of the water…an effect you may have intentioned. To my eye, the primary element is rock and the secondary element(s) are water/waterfall. To that end, there is good balance, slightly favoring to me the rocks. If you treated the image with clarity or a high-pass filter, it looks as if that effect has influenced the water and that takes away from the softness which to my eye, would contrast nicely with the grit of the rock. So, my only recommendation here would be to consider masking out the texture detail of the water (assuming some was applied) somewhat.

Todd,

Welcome to NPN! A terrific first post. The composition is actually quite refreshing - a little different given the cascade is a little secondary to the surrounding rock.

Processing looks good, I especially like the white of the cascade (texture, SS good too!) And the colors/saturation of the rock are spot on as well. the only suggestion I have would be to somehow decrease the contrast in the upper boulder field? Can’t quite figure out the lighting; it appears there is direct sun as there are shadows, but I think the exposure is a little under somewhat disguising the bright daylight? Regardless, the end result is that this looks great!

Minor suggestion beyond the contrast above I mentioned, if it were mine I would clone out the purple flower in the LRC (lower right corner) and probably the moss as well.

Looking forward to more images and your participation!

Lon

Todd: Let me add my welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. I like your comp and how you’ve made the light work. As a Flora guy I’m always looking for flowers and like how they are sprinkled about the scene. The light does hide them some and if you were ever to get this scene again in overcast conditions I think the flowers would be stronger elements. I do like your comp and the treatment of the stream. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. >=))>

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I ‘m looking forward to learning the site and participating in the future.

Todd, Welcome to NPN. You’ve got an interesting mix of rocks and water here. I think this view works well with it’s emphasis on the shapes and textures in the rocks. The scattering of flowers and greens adds a fun bit of “spice” as my eyes roam the frame. This looks like a spot where you could choose many different comps. depending on the story that you want to tell. A vertical of the falls with a few of the flowers could be one.

A very nice composition, Todd. I really like where you put the waterfall. It has me trying to trace the hidden course of the creek through the frame and exploring all the nooks and crannies in those wonderful rocks.

Welcome to NPN and I’m really looking forward to more of your posts and comments on others’ images.