Territorial marker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Returning to my time on a lake in June. Even when they’re busy caring for their babies, male RWBBs remain vigilant and warn other males to stay away. It’s funny that although each male may have 1/2 dozen or more females in his territory, not all their babies are his. Both genders are pretty loose about partnerships, but in the end, all the kids get looked after very well.

I liked this catch with the beak open and the soft tamarack branches around as a frame. As the boat drifted, the backgrounds changed a bit and this one with the orange/yellow behind showed him best.

Specific Feedback

Any processing and/or field advice is welcome. I’m probably going to go back to this same lake at some point.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak…maybe a polarizer, but I can’t remember.

Lr for basic adjustments to keep the blacks rich and the colors natural looking. A bit of a crop, too. Some distraction removal, but it didn’t need much. Topaz either Sharpen or Denoise to manage detail and noise. Some masking to bring up his face and eye.

Hi Kris, love seeing the singing pose here and the exposure on the blacks looks good. I like the overall setting you captured here and the greenery goes well with the bird. I could see taking out the out of focus horizontal branch above the bird and going to the right. Nice catch.

This is a lovely shot! I am glad it has the bird in action singing. The colour story is beautiful…I always love seeing complementary colours on the colour wheel. I also like the “L” shaped frame created by the branches.

Beautiful image, Kris. I really like the tamarack as a perch and the pose of the blackbird. I also like that you kept the blacks nice and rich. My engineer’s soul says straighten the tree, but it was probably slanted and doesn’t really matter.

Cool singing pose and nice exposure of the oh-so-difficult blacks. Nice perch and nice background. What’s not to like? Well done.

Very nice – pose, detail, setting and BG all lovely. Itty-bitty tiny nit – the small branch making a triangle in the very LL corner could be cloned out.

Kris, you captured a very nice shot of this Red-winged Blackbird in a nice setting. Him in the midst of sing really makes the shot. Impressive to capture this from a kayak. Really nice.

Beautiful image. The depth of field and focus on the perch area along with the bird and the creamy background make this work very well.

Thanks everyone! @Allen_Sparks, @terryb, @Robena.Sirett, @Diane_Miller, @Dennis_Plank, @Shirley_Freeman & @David_Schoen - glad you guys liked it. I know it’s a common bird, but I don’t see them photographed in tamaracks/bogs very often so I thought it might be a touch novel.

1 Like