The Bomb

Aside from the fact that this wave looks like a bomb exploding, I’m naming this “The Bomb” after our hyperbolic media that treats every weather event as the end of the world. Newspapers were filled with headlines that this noreaster was going to bomb the northeast.
Acadia National Park, ME

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the dynamic of the wave, rocks and sky. I find the comp a bit cutoff at the top (my attention goes to the cutoff wave and wants to see the peak) and tight at the bottom, though. You could pull a bit more of the reds out in the wave and sky.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman. I agree about the top. Unfortunately I could not control the height of the wave. LOL. I’ll probably add a little canvas to the top.
:vulcan_salute:

Pretty impressive Mike, great timing on your part to catch this wave at peak action. I assume this is from the big storm after Columbus Day weekend this year? That person in blue looks like he/she is about to get swept out to a watery grave.

This is a subjective personal preference of mine, but I would prefer to see this image flipped horizontally. I’m biased to having a left to right flow in my images, and this shot would feel stronger to me if the wave ended up crashing on the right side of the image. The Acadia coastline is generic looking enough that I think you could get away with it (this section is not that recognizable). Just pretend you were facing south instead of north :grin:

Michael,

What a dynamic and fantastic capture of the “exploding” wave - and yes, I think that’s exactly the impression I get. “Crashing wave” simply wouldn’t do it justice… :wink:

Love the colors, especially in the exploding wave - I think though perhaps even a little brighter? But that’s all personal taste. And as presented, perfectly appropriate given conditions, time of day etc.

Understand not being able to control the height of the wave… but would agree with others that breaching the edge of the frame creates a little tension, and attention. Not a big deal, but I think it’s a case of being a 'tweaner… Either give it some space above, or crop in to it more purposefully (which I don’t think is a preferable option.)

Lon

Michael, this is an awesome catch of the bursting wave. For me, there so much action in the curved foreground and the big bomb, that missing a bit of the top doesn’t bother me. The hint of pink both in the clouds and in the burst is a great extra. There is a dust spot slightly above the horizon towards the right.